Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease, or Acid Reflux, is a chronic digestive condition in which stomach acids regurgitate upward into the esophagus, causing burning sensations in the chest accompanied with other symptoms bloating, belching, sore throat, snoring, difficulty breathing. Acid reflux has a number of triggers, including spicy, oily, and fatty foods, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and many others.
A heartburn is a burning discomfort that happens just behind the lower part of the sternum (breastbone) that usually related to spasm of the lower end of the esophagus or of the upper part of the stomach. It is a symptom that is associated with acid reflux.
There are plenty of commercial treatments available for heartburn, but their effects are short-lived and they come with unwanted side effects. Why spend money on those when you can use a safe, effective, inexpensive treatment for acid reflux you probably already have on hand? Baking soda gets rid of heartburn fast. Let’s take a look at how it works.
What is Baking Soda?
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is a white crystalline compound with slightly alkaline taste that is used in many things like making of effervescent salts and beverages, pharmaceuticals, artificial mineral water and fire extinguishers. It is also called as bicarbonate of soda. Here in this article, we are going to learn about how baking soda helps to treat the heartburn with its natural properties.
Does Baking Soda help Acid Reflux?
- Baking soda neutralizes stomach acids and detoxifies the digestive system to relieve heartburn, indigestion, and upset stomach.
- Because it is alkaline, it restores the acid/alkaline balance within the digestive system, treating and preventing acid reflux.
- Baking soda balances the pH levels in the bloodstream.
How to Use Baking Soda to Treat Acid Reflux:
Baking soda is one of the most effective remedies and can be used in many ways. Follow these methods to relieve from the acid reflux.
1. Baking Soda and Water
- Stir 1 teaspoon of baking soda into a glass of water and drink it.
- Drink regularly to get relief from acid reflux.
- For faster relief, use ½ cup water and 1 tablespoon baking soda.
- Drink this whenever you suffer with acid reflux.
- Do not use this treatment if you’re suffering from continuous acid reflux problem because it increases blood pressure, nausea and swelling.
2. Baking Soda with Honey
This process helps to reduce the burning sensation as honey gives relief from the acid reflux.
- Stir 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of raw honey in a cup of warm water.
- Stir well until baking soda dissolve completely and drink it.
- Do this whenever you have acid reflux.
- The honey will relieve burning sensations.
3. Baking Soda with Lemon
- Stir ½ teaspoon of baking soda and ½ teaspoon of fresh-squeezed lemon juice in a cup of warm water.
- Drink this regularly to reduce acid reflux.
4. Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, into 200 ml of water.
- Stir well and drink it 2 to 3 times a day on empty stomach.
- Follow this not more than 5 days.
- For sever acid reflux, use 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of apple cider
- Drink apple cider vinegar solutions for acid reflux through a straw to prevent erosion of tooth enamel.
5. Baking Soda, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Lemon Juice
- Stir 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, and ½ teaspoon of lemon juice into a glass of water.
- Drink slowly to get relief from acid reflux.
- Drink regularly.
6. Baking Soda with Cream of Tartar
- Take equal quantities i.e. 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and cream of tartar
- Mix it well in a glass of water and the cream of tartar or baking soda has to be mixed properly.
- Finally, take a teaspoon of this solution whenever you suffer from heartburn for immediate relief from it.
Tips and Precautions:
- When used in excess, baking soda can cause gas, abdominal distention, nausea, belching, discomfort, and pain.
- Prolonged use of baking soda can result in over-neutralization of stomach acid and improper functioning of the digestive system.
- Use baking soda treatments for 2 weeks or less.
- Because it contains sodium, baking soda treatments can raise blood pressure.
- Take baking soda only in recommended doses. Excessive use can cause diarrhea.
- Don’t confuse baking soda with baking powder.
- Adults should consume no more than 6 glasses of baking soda solution in 24 hours, the elderly should use no more than 3, and children under age 5 should not use them at all.
- Baking soda solutions work best when taken on an empty stomach or 3 hours after eating.
- While using baking soda treatments, take vitamin B, folic acid, and chromium supplements.
- Let the fizz die down before drinking baking soda solutions, as it can cause heartburn.
- If you experience unexpected side effects, consult a doctor immediately.
- Avoid drinking alcohol, smoking, and eating spicy, salty, or fatty foods.
Have you tried any of these methods for treating heartburn with baking soda? Which ones worked best for you? Share your experience with us!
What can be done to relieve Sciatic discomfort?
The sciatic nerve in my back and right leg is giving me pain. I’ve taken cortisone but only short term. I don’t want back surgery. Is there any home remedy to get some relief?
Acupressure done by a cosmetologist or a massage therapist relieve me from my problem
for a sciatic nerve problem purchase a tens machine it shocks and relaxes the nerves and is safe to use.
I was out of medication for my GERD and out of desperation, I remembered baking soda & water. It worked immediately! A little burping and then I felt great! I take this in the evening and I no longer need my GERD medication as my condition has improved. 1/2 tsp in 1/2 glass of water disolved, when needed.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
I’m going to try this for the first time
How long after drinking the baking soda does the heartburn go away????
Thanks, love home remedies like this. Tasted funny but very helpful for the occasional indigestion!
IV tried it and it didn’t work , any other suggestions
If baking soda didn’t work for you, then you can try other remedies mentioned in this article – wellness.guide/acid-reflux/
Which brand of baking soda is safe is it
Arm and hammer which we keep in fridge
To remove fridge smell
Yes, you can use this brand.
If I drank a table spoon of baking soda and a cup of water will it do anything
The baking soda and water solution gives relief from the acid reflux. But drinking it daily can increase the blood pressure, nausea and swelling.
I did the apple cider vinegar + baking soda and water, the 2 tblsp dose for severe case of acid reflux. Did not have a good reaction. I think I made the mistake of mixing these items in Alkaline water. I felt nausea and almost immediate urge to make a bowel movement. I do feel like the pressure in my chest and esophagus from the acid reflux has subsided somewhat, but still having tummy issues. I’m assuming it was wrong to mix with alkaline water?
Alkaline water may not be reason behind the reaction. As you have seen a little improvement, try the process one more time and see the discomfort still persists without any effectiveness. If so, then stop using it and try different methods. You can find more remedies in this article – http://wellness.guide/acid-reflux/
Can you use baking powder instead of baking soda for heartburn?
No, baking powder and baking soda are two different ingredients.
So the doctor said it’s bronchitis first they gave me mucinex when I went then after a week asthma chest tightness, Dry coughing they have me steroids, inhaler and antibiotics then after 3 days they said it’s acid reflux on my lower chest middle it was tight and can’t bend forward and have to seat when sleeping I have to be straight I can’t lean. They gave me omeprazole but I went back I told them
They need to check my h pylori and that’s the only time they asked for blood test , ultrasound and X-ray and cane normal. Just waiting for h pylori test.
So I don’t know if it’s still okay for me to drink baking soda and water?
I recently heard that baking soda is good for autoimmune disease. What dose would be good with ACV as I also have acid reflux..