Diaper rash is a common problem for infants, and you’re about to learn how to treat it without wasting money on expensive products. The soreness, redness, and irritation of diaper rash result from bacterial and fungal infections triggered by too much warmth and moisture in the diaper area, and acids in stools and urine.
The cure for this ailment is just as common as the symptoms. Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, neutralizes acids, balances the body’s pH, and discourages the growth of yeast, bacteria, and infection. It thoroughly cleanses body cavities to leave your baby’s skin healthy.
Let’s take a look at baking soda’s many beneficial properties and how it can be used to heal diaper rash.
Baking Soda Treatments for Diaper Rash
Listed below are the most widely used methods for curing diaper rash with baking soda. Try them all to find the one that works best for you.
1. Baking Soda
Bathe your baby’s bottom with a mix of warm water and baking soda.
- Mix 2-3 heaping tablespoons into 3-4 cups warm water.
- Soak a clean, dry washcloth in the solution.
- Use it to wash your baby’s skin.
- Pat dry. Rubbing will causes irritation.
- Leave the solution on to protect against acids that cause diaper rash.
- Store baking soda in airtight container.
- Use clean washcloth every time you use this method.
2. Baking Soda Spot Treatment
- Mix 1-2 tablespoons baking soda into warm water.
- Use a sponge to apply the mixture to infected areas of your baby’s skin.
- Let the mixture dry, leave it on, and put on a clean diaper.
- This deoderizes and protects against acidic urine.
3. Baking Soda with Lard
- Add Aloe Vera or Vitamin E to 2-3 tablespoons lard and mix well.
- Wash and pat-dry your baby.
- Apply a thin layer of lard mix over baby’s skin.
- Apply a thin layer of baking soda over the lard mixture.
- Put on a fresh diaper.
4. Baking Soda with Yogurt and Aquaphor
- Wash your baby with yogurt and cool water.
- Once dry, cover skin with a thin layer of baking soda.
- Wait one hour, then use a sealant like aquaphor or olive oil to create a barrier between skin and acidic waste.
Baking Soda Baths for Diaper Rash
5. Baking Soda Bath
- Add 2 teaspoons baking soda to a warm bath.
- Bathe your baby for 10-15 minutes then pat dry.
- Repeat 2-3 times daily.
- This bath prevents diaper rash and leaves baby’s skin smooth and soft.
6. Baking Soda with Oatmeal Milk Bath
- Blend ¼ cup oatmeal into a fine powder.
- Add 1 tablespoon milk and 2 teaspoons baking soda.
- Add this mixture to your baby’s warm bath.
- Bath baby for 10-15 minutes.
- Pat dry with clean towel.
- This recipe makes enough for 2-3 baths.
Baking Soda for Yeast Diaper Rash
Candida albicans is a fungus or yeast that is normally present on the skin and mucous membranes. It grows in warm, moist areas, especially those where a wet diaper contacts a baby’s skin. Irregular changing allows yeast to grow out of control and become diaper rash.
7. Baking Soda with Epsom Salt or Colloidal Oatmeal
- Mix 1-2 tablespoons baking soda and 1 tablespoon epsom salt or colloidal oatmeal into a warm bath.
- Bath your baby in this mixture regularly to reduce irritation and prevent diaper rash.
Tips & Precautions
Follow the tips listed below for safe, effective use of baking soda diaper rash remedies.
- Toxins can enter a baby’s body through open wounds, so don’t use baking soda baths of your baby has cuts or sores.
- Repeat the above methods regularly to cure and prevent diaper rash.
- For an extra-strong cure, mix diaper rash cream with baking soda.
- When over-used, baking soda can cause itching and irritation.
- Rinse your baby’s skin very thoroughly after a baking soda bath.
- If problems persist, call your baby’s pediatrician immediately.
Have you used any of the above methods for curing diaper rash with baking soda? Do you know of any methods we haven’t mentioned, like the use of coconut oil? Share your experience with us.
Can I use baking powder if I do not have baking soda?
Nope. Don’t use baking powder instead of baking soda. Baking powder can harm your skin.
My toddler takes a bath in an adult bath tub and not in a baby bath. Should I still add just 2 teaspoons of baking soda to his bath to combat a rash? Or was that the ratio for a baby bath tub? Thanks.
That was mentioned for a baby bath tub. You can use 2 tablespoons of adult bath tub.
Can you apply baking soda straight onto the skin where nappy rash is?
Baby’s skin is very sensitive, applying baking soda straight can cause some discomfort. So it is better to dip a washcloth in the dilute solution, wring out the excess and apply it on the diaper rash.
I went to grocery store theytold meetha soda is baking soda…so shall I use meetha soda..
Yes, you can.
My son had hand and foot disease, can baking soda help clear up all the marks on his hands and feet
Baking soda has bleaching properties so it may help so give it a try. Mix enough amounts of baking soda and water to make a paste. Gently massage the paste on the affected areas for few minutes. Leave it on for another few minutes and rinse off with water.
Are u sure baking soda will wrk my 1 yr old has a rash between his legs and bottom
Yes, it will help. Baking soda balances the pH level and soothes the irritation and redness caused by diaper rash.
But could i use virgin coconut oil for it
Yes, you can use coconut oil to treat diaper rash. Read this article to know about the methods – http://wellness.guide/coconut-oil-for-diaper-rash/
How long before I start to see results?
The time period of results can different from one person to another. You may observe improvement within few days to a week.
My wife used it straight to the affected area as she was told by her sister, and yes she complained and cried of a burning sensation I put her straight into a baby bath and washed it off, instantly she was back to her normal self again, so recommend do not use it straight onto the affected area, my little treasure is 3 years old
Thanks for sharing your suggestions.
can i use baking soda if my baby have a open sores in diaper area ?
Nope, avoid applying baking soda if there are open sores. In fact avoid trying home remedies if the sores are open. Consult a doctor for appropriate treatment.
Wondering when bathing your baby in this baking soda water, is it safe for the baby to put his hands in water then in mouth? Or should I try to keep his hands out of this mouth once submerged? Thanks!
Can I use cook soda?
Can I use baking soda for baby’s facial wash?
My baby is 2 months old he has this tiny rashes on his face.
What will be the measurements of baking soda I’m going to use.
BAKING SODA DOES NOT RELIEVE DIAPER RASH. MY SON OS SCREAMING AND SHAKING BECAUSE IT BURNS HORRIBLY. MAYBE IT HELPS HEAL. BUT YOUR BABY WILL SUFFER
My 2 months old baby has bad diaper rashes can i use baking powder or baking soda to cure them?
My 6wks old baby has excoriation around anus due to loose stools. Top layer of skin is gone and red spots can be seen. Will baking soda bath help?
Please my wife has rashes all over their body, how can they use the baking soda? Please help me
My baby too
Can you mix baking sofa with vasoline to treat nappy rash
Yes! Vaseline ensures baby’s skin doesn’t dry out. You can mix 1 – 2 tablespoons of baking soda with 2 tablespoons of vaseline