Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is a white crystalline compound with a slightly alkaline taste that is used in many things like making of effervescent salts and beverages, pharmaceuticals, artificial mineral water and fire extinguishers. It is also called as bicarbonate of soda. Here in this article, we are going to learn about how baking soda helps to treat the heartburn with its natural properties.
Heartburn is a burning discomfort that happens just behind the lower part of the sternum (Chest or Breastbone) that usually related to spasm of the lower end of the esophagus or of the upper part of the stomach often associated with gastroesophageal reflux (Acid Reflux).
How Baking Soda helps to treat Heartburn:
Baking soda treats the heartburn very effectively. Let us see how it helps to treat heartburn.
- Baking soda is a natural antacid as it helps to neutralize the stomach acids and gives relief from the heartburn.
- Baking soda is an alkaline base that neutralizes the stomach acids and bring the pH of the liquid in your stomach (i.e. for your blood stream and urine) up so it isn’t so corrosive which will help to ease the burn.
How to use Baking soda for heartburn:
Baking soda is an effective remedy for heartburn. You can use it in many ways but some common and popular methods are given below.
Method – 1: (Baking Soda)
- Take a teaspoon of baking soda and mix it in a glass of water (8 ounces of water)
- Stir it well and drink this slowly to get relief from heartburn
- Drinking this regularly helps to get rid of the heartburn.
Method – 2: (Baking Soda with Lemon)
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and then add few drops of lemon juice. Lemon juice helps to dispel some of the gas which baking soda creates in the stomach when it comes into contact with stomach acid.
- Mix it well in a half cup of warm water
- Drink this to prevent heartburn
- Taking it regularly will help to eliminate the heartburn completely.
Method – 3: (Baking Soda)
- Take half teaspoon of baking soda and add this half glass of water (4 oz of water)
- Stir it well and drink this whenever you feel heartburn for instant relief.
- Remember that people who are under the treatment or having nausea, overeaten, stomach ache, gas, cramps should not do this or take it as antacids.
Method – 4: (Baking Soda with Cream of Tartar)
- Take equal quantities i.e. 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and cream of tartar
- Mix it well in a glass of water and the cream of tartar or baking soda has to be mixed properly.
- Finally, take a teaspoon of this solution whenever you suffer from heartburn for immediate relief from it.
You have to follow these precautions while you’re treating your heartburn with baking soda.
- Baking soda is high in sodium i.e. salt and causes some side effects like swelling, nausea, etc. If you’re on a low sodium diet it’s always recommended to use the approximate quantity or use alternative non-sodium antacids to get rid of the heartburn.
- When baking soda mixed with water it releases carbon dioxide that causes fizz. This fizz will open the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) which enable you to burp and helps to relieve the pressure from bloating. Unfortunately, opening of LES can also allow the contents into your stomach to reflux up into the esophagus and again causes heartburn or acid reflux.
- Baking soda for heartburn hasn’t undergone any clinical trials so it’s important to try it once and then check the results first and then follow it or else consult the doctor immediately.
- Don’t use baking soda for longer than 2 weeks and use seven 1/2 teaspoons serving in 24 hours or more than 3 times in 24 hours if you’re over 60 years. As it will cause some side effects like belching, increased thirst, intense headache, weakness or blood in the stool, etc. when taken it in overdose.
- Make sure that it is not recommended to take by pregnant women and breastfeeding women why because it is high in sodium which causes water retention. So, always consult the doctor to have proper information about taking baking soda and the quantity of taking it.
- Baking soda and baking powder are different but not the same products so not to use them combinedly. Always use baking soda but not baking powder to treat heartburn.
Not only taking baking soda will cure the heartburn but you have to follow some changes in your diet and lifestyle, and avoid eating fatty, oily and other foods that trigger heartburn. Regular exercise, eating small but frequent times, etc. will definitely hhelpto prevent the heartburn.
All this is about Baking soda for heartburn. Do you have any other remedy about baking soda for heartburn which is not covered in this topic? Then share with us…