Warts are benign growths on the skin caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). The virus can enter into the body through cuts, bruises and wounds. People with weak immune system are more likely to get warts.
Warts mostly appear on the hands, feet and in certain cases around the genital areas. In rare cases, genital warts can lead to cervical cancer in women. So, it is better to act as soon as possible to get rid of warts. Warts can be treated successfully using natural ingredients such as baking soda, castor oil or garlic. Today, let’s learn about baking soda for warts in detail.
Is Baking Soda Useful for Removing Warts?
- The potent anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of baking soda fight with the viral infection causing warts.
- Being a natural exfoliant it breaks down the cluster of skin cells that form the wart. This eventually makes the wart to fall off on its own.
- The astringent property of baking soda soaks away moisture from the warts which dries them out from inside. This makes it easy for warts to get detached from the skin.
How to Use Baking Soda for Warts?
Below mentioned are some effective home remedies to get rid of warts. You can opt any one of them and try it regularly.
1. Baking Soda Paste
- Take a tablespoon of baking soda and add some water to it.
- Mix it to form a thick paste.
- Apply this paste over the warts using a clean q-tip and leave it on overnight.
- Wash off the next morning with water.
- Repeat this remedy once every day until the warts are gone.
2. Baking Soda Soak
- Add 1/2 cup of baking soda to a bath tub filled with lukewarm water.
- Make sure the baking soda is completely dissolved in the bath water.
- Soak your body in this water for 20 minutes and then pat dry with a towel.
- Repeat this remedy 3 to 4 times every week.
3. Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar Salve
The strong acidic properties of apple cider vinegar break down the cluster of skin cells and tissues that forms the warts. This induces the warts to peel and fall off naturally. The anti-inflammatory properties of apple cider vinegar also heal the soreness of the skin after the wart falls off.
- Combine 1 tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and baking soda to form a paste.
- Apply this paste generously over the warts, cover with cotton pads and secure with a bandage or tape.
- Leave it on overnight and remove the bandage in the morning.
- Continue this process for a couple of weeks to get rid of the warts completely.
Note – It is best to use raw, organic and unfiltered apple cider vinegar for this remedy.
4. Baking Soda and Castor Oil Ointment
Ricinoleic acid, the main component of castor oil possesses powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that kill the virus causing warts.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of baking soda and enough amounts of water to make a paste.
- Next, add a teaspoon of castor oil to it and mix with a spoon.
- Soak a cotton ball in this mixture and place it over the warts.
- Let it dry out on its own and then wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy 1 to 2 times in a day.
5. Lemon Juice and Baking Soda Mix
Citric acid present in lemon juice breaks down the cells and tissues that form the warts. It dries out and falls off on its own within a few weeks.
- Add 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice to a tablespoon of baking soda and mix with a spoon to form a paste.
- Apply this paste generously over the warts and leave it on for a few hours.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and dry with a towel.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day for a few weeks.
6. Baking Soda and White Vinegar Soak
Acetic acid, the key ingredient in distilled white vinegar has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties that help to get rid of virus causing warts. It also works as a great disinfectant that prevents infections.
- Add equal parts of white vinegar and water in a shallow tub.
- Add 1/2 cup of baking soda to it and stir it using a wooden spoon so that it gets completely dissolved.
- Soak your warts in this solution for 20 to 30 minutes and then dry with a towel.
- Repeat this remedy once in a day for a couple of weeks.
7. Baking Soda and Coconut Oil Rub
The medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) present in coconut oil possess potent antiviral, anti-fungal, antibacterial properties that kill the virus causing the warts.
- Take equal parts of baking soda and coconut oil in a bowl and mix it with a spoon.
- Apply this mixture over the warts and massage it with your finger tips for 5 minutes.
- Leave it on for an hour and wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day for a few weeks.
8. Baking soda and Tea Tee Oil Paste
Tea tree oil possesses natural antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral properties that fight with the virus causing warts. Its anti-inflammatory property supports the healing process of the skin after the wart has fallen off.
- Make a solution by mixing a tablespoon of baking soda to 1/2 cup of water.
- Add 8 to 10 drops of tea tree essential oil to it and give it a stir.
- Soak a cotton ball in this solution and dab it over the warts.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and then let it dry on its own.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day for a few weeks.
9. Baking Soda and Garlic Ointment
Garlic is known for its anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties that help to fight the viral infections causing warts.
- Crush 5 to 6 cloves of garlic to prepare a paste.
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda to it and mix with a spoon.
- Apply this paste on the warts and cover with a bandage.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and then wash the area with warm water.
- Repeat this treatment twice a day for a couple of weeks.
10. Aloe Vera and Baking Soda Poultice
Aloe Vera is an antipruritic and astringent which reduces irritation and itching of the warts. It dries them out from inside, thus inducing them to fall off eventually.
- Extract the gel from an aloe vera leaf and take it in a bowl.
- Add a tablespoon of baking soda to the gel and mix using a spoon.
- Apply this poultice on the warts using a cotton ball.
- Secure with a bandage or clean gauge and leave it on for a couple of hours.
- Open the bandage and clean the area with warm water.
- Repeat this process twice daily for a couple of weeks.
11. Basil and Baking Soda Paste
Holy basil contains potent anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that destroy the virus causing warts.
- Crush handful of fresh basil leaves and add a teaspoon of baking soda to it.
- Mix it well and apply it over the warts.
- Secure with a bandage and leave it on for a couple of hours.
- Remove the bandage and wash the area with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process 2 times in a day until the wart falls off.
Tips and Precautions:
- Baking soda can be excessively drying for the skin, so it is recommended to keep your skin well-moisturized while using baking soda remedies.
- Baking soda can cause skin irritation in people with sensitive skin. Some of the side effects of baking soda include itchiness, tingling and burning of the skin.
- If you notice any reaction after applying baking soda then wash it off immediately with cold water and stop using baking soda.
- It is recommended to perform a small patch test before using baking soda remedies on the skin.
- Avoid scratching, rubbing or picking at a wart to prevent further infection.
- Wash your hands with soap and water every time after touching a wart or applying the remedies or medicines.
- Cover the warts with bandage or tape to prevent the virus from spreading to other areas.
- Avoid sharing personal care items such as towels, razors, nail clippers, etc. with others.
- Keep your feet clean and dry at all times and wear footwear in public areas.
- Boost your immune system with immune boosting foods such as garlic, lemons, oranges, banana, broccoli, cabbage, etc.
Try any one of the remedies mentioned in the above article. Let us known which remedy worked best for you. Strengthen your immune system with the right foods to reduce the recurrence of warts.
For the one where it’s just baking soda,do you just put the paste on the wart and put a bandage on it?
Yes, you have to put paste on the wart and apply bandage over the baking soda application.
Two of your remedies suggest mixing baking soda and vinegar (both apple cider and white) to apply as a paste…
You DO know what happens when you mix the two, right?
Anybody who takes that advice, but has never mixed the two before is in for a big surprise…
how can one use bandage over the wart whiles it’s at genital places
I applied apple cyder veniger and it helped me a great deal
I was suffering like hell on earth with gw and went to the doc who applied phodophyil and l almost run mad bse of the too much pain. The following day much of the gw peeled off. But a few claster remained and it kept itching me and l couldnt sleep peacefully . I could scratch myself then i bleed . Then i applied apple cyder vinegar and it itched me like hell on earth bse they were open wounds ….but after a few minutes the pain reduced and i slept off like a baby for the first time. God is faithful i am seeing a very big improvement i dont feel the itching like before and i am hoping that the few will also disappear in Jesus name amen
I find if you just poor baking soda in your shoe, it’s enough to tackle foot warts. Currently experiencing the removal of my planters wart thanks to baking soda!
Hi, I have a nine year old son who has warts on his nose for about two years. The treatment from the Doctors has not worked long term and they keep coming back, he started of with just one.
I’ve just started the apple cider vinegar with bicarbonate of soda paste. I’ve been putting the paste on throughout the day and at night. As it’s been the weekend I just kept reapplying the paste, it seemed to stay without the need for tape. Tape does not seem to stay and the warts are in a tricky area.
If I continue with the paste at night and as soon as he’s back from school will this be enough? And what signs should I see if the paste starts to work?. The largest on looks flatter just over the weekend so fingers crossed. It’s so upsetting to see your child suffer with warts on the face. I’m desperate to help him.
Any advice welcome.
My son also has warts on his nose he is 4 yrs old. I feel so bad for him as well. Did this happen to work for your son? If so, can you please let me know exactly what you did? TIA
When you experience burning when you put baking soda to your genital warts just continue or stop using it