Hearing constant noises or sounds when there are no sounds around, this situation is referred as tinnitus. Tinnitus can be very frustrating and becomes difficult to concentrate on day-to-day activities.
The sounds may be solid to a variety of high pitch noises. Hissing, clicking, ringing and other weird sounds are some of the common ones observed.
Earwax, elevated blood pressure, air travel and tumors in the inward ear are some of the reasons for tinnitus. Both adults and children can fall victim to this ear condition.
It can lead to impairment of one or both the ears. It can sometimes lead to chronic ear infection and minor head injury.
The two types of tinnitus are referred as – subjective and objective tinnitus. Subjective tinnitus is referred to the situation where only you can hear the noise. While in objective tinnitus, doctor can also hear the noise while examining you.
The symptoms elevated by this condition can be controlled to a maximum extent with some simple home remedies.
Sunflower seeds, castor oil, onion juice, and fenugreek are some of the home ingredients that can be used to treat tinnitus. Let’s learn more about castor oil for tinnitus in this article.
Does Castor Oil Work For Tinnitus?
- Castor oil contains antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It helps in restoring the cell function inside the ears.
- It strengthens the system to protect it against the fungi and bacteria that collect in the ear.
- It helps to clean the ear channels.
- It is known to treat various ear problems like cochlea which may be one of the problems for tinnitus.
How to Use Castor Oil for Tinnitus?
We have mentioned 2 methods of using castor oil for tinnitus. Choose anyone as per your convenience and try it regularly.
- Pour 5 to 8 drops of castor oil into the ear.
- Close the ear with a cotton ball.
- Remove after an hour.
- Repeat the process daily for at least 4 weeks.
- Pour 8 drops of castor oil on the tongue.
- Hold it for few minutes in the mouth.
- Now drink a glass of water.
- Repeat the process daily.
How Many Days Will It Take to Treat Tinnitus?
Natural remedies take at least 4 weeks to show the improvement or results. So it is better to wait until 4 weeks to know if castor oil is working for you or not. Well, you can observe improvement in the condition within few days. If you see any improvement, follow it until 4 weeks to notice the results. If you are not able to notice the improvements, then stop using castor oil and try different remedies.
Safety Precautions While Castor Oil for Tinnitus
Some people may be allergic to castor oil so they should avoid using it.
Consumption of castor oil can induce uterine contractions so pregnant and lactating women should avoid using it.
Castor oil has laxative properties. It may also cause diarrhea, intestinal discomfort, and others.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid smoking as it increases blood flow to the ears.
- If tinnitus is caused by high blood pressure or diabetes, then sugar levels or blood pressure should be controlled to reduce it.
- Dietary and lifestyle changes are required to address nutritional deficiencies.
- To resolve the neurological cause of tinnitus, it is important to do relaxation exercises.
- Tinnitus can also be caused due to food allergies. Foods like ripe bananas, cheese, milk, chocolate, citrus fruits, soybeans, and avocado are common allergens that cause tinnitus. Observe which one of them is causing tinnitus in you.
- Avoid fatty foods and stimulants like alcohol and tea as they exacerbate the sensitivity of auditory nerves which increases ringing of ears.
- Some patients suffering from tinnitus often isolate themselves from surrounding noise by wearing ear plugs. This practice should be discontinued as this temporary relief can amplify the perception of sounds and hyperacusis.
- Protection your ears with earplug can only be recommended in high noisy environments.
- Avoid listening to loud music.
- Regularly clean the ears to remove ear wax as it can also cause tinnitus.
If none of the above remedies work then it is better to consult a doctor. If you have tried using castor oil for tinnitus then share your experience with us in the comments section below.