As per International Hyperhidrosis Association, approximately 7.8 million Americans are affected by excessive sweating. Usually, we produce sweat during a workout or in warm environments. But people suffering from excessive sweating often sweat more than normal, regardless of any physical need for it.
Nutritional deficiencies, stress, anxiety and poor circulation can trigger excessive sweating. People with diabetes, heart problems, obesity and hyperthyroidism are more prone to it.
Besides being uncomfortable, excessive sweating can disrupt your routine life. Instead of depending on medicinal treatments, you can try natural remedies to treat the problem at home. Natural home remedies for excessive sweating include apple cider vinegar, lemon, black tea, potato and many others mentioned below.
Home Remedies for Excessive Sweating:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has astringent property that controls the sweating process. It helps to balance the pH levels of the body, especially under the arms or feet, to get rid of the bacteria. Being an antiperspirant, it forms a coat on the skin which ensures the pores are closed.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Underarm Sweating
- Using a cotton ball, apply apple cider vinegar to the armpits before going to bed.
- Leave it for overnight and then wash it with water in the next morning.
- Continue this process every night.
- Note:Dilute acv with enough water, if you experience any irritation.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Sweaty Feet
- Pour 1 liter of water and ½ cup of apple cider vinegar in a foot basin and stir well.
- Place your feet in it and soak it for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Apple cider vinegar can also be added to your bath.
- Follow this process regularly.
Alternative Method: Wash your feet with mild soap and water. Dry them thoroughly and apply acv using a cotton ball. Leave it to dry completely. Repeat the process daily.
- Add 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to water and stir well.
- Add honey to taste.
- Stir it well and drink it in the morning on an empty stomach.
Lemon is another effective remedy to control sweating. It has citric acid that eliminates the bacteria and its pleasant fragrance makes it as a natural deodorant.
Note: Do not step into the sun after using this method, so the best time is to apply is at night.
Lemon for Armpit Sweating
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice and baking soda in a small bowl.
- Apply this paste on the armpits thoroughly by using cotton pad.
- Let it sit for about 20 – 30 minutes and then wash it with water.
- Continue doing this regularly.
Alternative Method: Rub half lemon on the underarms by gently squeezing it. Leave it overnight or if you cannot, leave it for 15 – 30 minutes and rinse off with water. If you are sensitive to lemon juice, dilute it with some water and apply it using a cotton ball.
Caution: Try the above treatment only before going to bed as lemon juice can make your skin photo sensitive. Apart from treating excessive sweating, it can also whiten your underarms or any other part of the body.
Lemon for Body Sweating
- Mix 1 or 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of salt in a small bowl.
- Apply this on sweat prone areas of the body.
- Massage gently with your hands for few minutes.
- Leave it on for about 15 – 20 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
- Pat the skin dry and repeat regularly.
3. Baking soda
Sweat contains certain acids that encourage bacteria to thrive. Baking soda is alkaline in nature which effectively lowers the pH level of the sweat prone areas in our body by simply counteracting with the acids. It will also act as a natural deodorant.
- Combine enough amounts of baking soda and cornstarch.
- Clean the underarms thoroughly and apply the mixture on them.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse it off with water.
- For more effective results, add any essential oil into the mixture.
- Note: Make sure to wear loose fitted clothes.
- Follow the process regularly.
Alternative Method: After taking bath, apply some baking soda on the sweat prone areas. Discard the excess amount of baking soda and leave it to dry without rinsing off.
4. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains lauric acid which helps to eliminate the bacteria that causes the sweat. It has a light fragrance which will help you feel fresh, however be aware that it will stain clothes.
- Add 10 grams of crushed camphor to 1 cup of coconut oil.
- Stir well to make a paste.
- Apply this on the sweat prone areas of the body.
- Massage it for few minutes and let it sit for about 45 – 60 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
- Repeat regularly.
Alternative Method: After taking bath, apply enough amounts of organic and cold pressed coconut oil on the sweat prone areas. Massage gently until the oil is completely absorbed. Repeat the application daily.
Due to its quality of absorbing excess water from the body, it is known as an antiperspirant and blocking agent.
- Rub a small potato piece on the sweat prone areas for few minutes.
- Let the potato absorb the excess sweat and prevent sweating further.
- Leave it to dry completely before wearing clothes. Make sure to make wear loose fitted clothes.
- Alternatively, you can apply some potato juice using a cotton ball and leave it to dry completely. Extract potato juice, pour into an airtight container and refrigerate it for daily use.
6. Black Tea
The tannic acid present in black tea holds astringent and antiperspirant properties. They provide relief from excessive sweating. The astringent property constricts the sweat glands which controls the sweat flow to outer skin. Black tea contains more tannic acid than normal tea, so it is the best to use.
Black Tea for Armpit Sweating
- Place 2 black tea bags in 3 cups of hot water.
- Let it steep for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Dip a wash cloth in this tea and put this on the underarms.
- Or place wet black tea bags on the armpits and hold for a few minute.
Black Tea for Feet & palm Sweating
- Fill a foot bath basin with 1 liter hot water.
- Place 2 black tea bags in this water.
- Allow it to steep for a short while, and then soak the feet or palm in it for about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Take out the feet or palm and pat dry.
- Repeat regularly.
If you have generalized sweating:
- Soak a wash cloth in black tea water and wipe the sweat prone areas like neck, armpit and feet using it for almost half an hour.
- Alternatively, soak the sweat prone areas in the black tea for 15 – 20 minutes.
- For effective results, drink 2 -3 cups of black tea daily to treat and prevent excessive sweating.
The tannic acid present in sage is known for its astringent properties which restrict the sweat glands from producing excessive sweat and reduces the perspiration. The anti-bacterial and antifungal properties control the bacterial growth causing to sweat.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of sage leaves and 1 -2 cups of water.
- Bring this mixture to boil and remove from the flame.
- Let it cool down to room temperature.
- Use this water to clean the sweat prone areas.
- Repeat at least 3 times a day.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sage to a cup of hot water.
- Allow it to steep for about 5 – 8 minutes and then strain.
- Drink before going to sleep, adding lemon to taste.
- Alternatively include sage in your daily cooking.
Process 3: Sage for Foot Sweating
- Fill a foot basin with hot water.
- Add 2 teaspoon of sage to it and allow it to steep and cool for few minutes.
- Place your feet in this water and let it soak for about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Pat your feet dry and repeat daily.
Chamomile has anti-bacterial, astringent and deodorant properties that make it a best remedy for treating excessive sweating. Its antibacterial property helps to eliminate the bacteria which produce the body odor and sweat. Its astringent property helps to constrict the sweat glands and deodorant properties counteracting the odor.
- Place 1 teaspoon of chamomile herb in a cup of hot water.
- Allow it to steep for a few minutes.
- Drink this tea daily to get relief.
- Or Soak a cotton ball or pad in the tea.
- Apply it to the sweat prone areas for few minutes.
- Do this process regularly.
- Add few drops of chamomile essential oil to a bath of warm water.
- Stir it well and soak in the water for few minutes.
- Have this bath daily.
9. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is obtained from the hazel shrub. Its extract contains tannins, catechins, gallic acid, flavonoids, essential oils such as carvacrol, hexenol and eugenol, saponins and choline which helps to treat the sweating problem effectively, especially on the face, by shrinking the skin pores with its strong astringent properties.
- Take some witch hazel and soak a cotton pad in it.
- Wring out the excess and apply this pad on sweat prone areas like armpits, face and feet.
- You can either wash off after 30 minutes or leave it on like that.
- Follow this process regularly.
- Mix witch hazel bark powder and water to make a paste.
- Apply to the sweat prone areas.
- Let it sit for about an hour and then rinse it with cold water.
- Follow this process daily for about a week or two.
10. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains natural anti-fungal and astringent properties that help to give you relief from sweating by killing the bacteria that causes it.
- Soak a cotton ball in tea tree oil and then apply this on the sweat prone areas.
- If you have sensitive skin, dilute it by adding 4 – 5 drops of tea oil to 1/2 cup of water.
- Repeat it regularly.
11. Tomato Juice
Tomato has anti-oxidant and astringent properties that help to shrink the skin pores.
- Apply tomato juice to the affected areas.
- Let it sit for about 10 – 15 minutes to dry.
- Have a shower to wash the juice off.
- Repeat this process once in a day.
- Drink 1 to 2 glasses of fresh tomato juice once or twice in a day for a week.
- After a week, reduce the amount of tomato juice or consume it on alternative days.
- Also include tomatoes in your daily diet.
Healthy wheatgrass juice helps you to control sweating. It is high in vitamin A, C, B12, B6 and folic acid. This effectively prevents the sweating by controlling the acid’s activity and toxins in the blood. It neutralizes and dilutes the toxins in the blood and helps you get complete relief from sweating. For this you have to drink a glass of wheatgrass juice daily or else follow the below process.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of wheatgrass juice and ½ cup of water.
- Drink this on empty stomach in the morning.
- Continue doing this every morning.
13. White Sandalwood
White sandalwood powder is used in Ayurveda to treat or control the sweating. It contains several enzymes that help to absorb the extra moisture from the skin and thus keep the skin dry and fresh. The aromatic fragrance helps to mask the body odor caused by excessive sweating.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of white sandalwood powder, rose water and a little lemon juice to make a fine paste.
- Wash the sweat prone areas with water and pat dry.
- Apply this paste on those areas and leave it to dry completely.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Continue daily.
14. Homemade Deodorant
Instead of using commercial deodorants that contain harmful chemicals, opt for a homemade deodorant. It not only helps in treating excessive sweating but also helps in reducing body odor.
- Add a sufficient amount of water to 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Stir well to make a paste.
- Add 4 drops of any essential oil like lavender oil, lemon or vanilla oil (of your choice).
- Apply this to the sweat prone area of the body.
- Let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes, then either wash or just leave it on.
- Continue regularly.
- Add 3 teaspoon of coconut oil and 2 teaspoon of Shea butter to a double boiler.
- Place over a medium heat to melt.
- If you do not have a double boiler, you can place the ingredients in a jar which has lid over a pan of hot water.
- When melted, remove from the heat and add 3 teaspoons of baking soda and 2 teaspoons of arrowroot powder.
- Stir it well and add any essential oil of your choice.
- Allow it to cool for few minutes.
- Fill this mixture in an empty deodorant stick and store it in the fridge to avoid melting.
- Use this stick regularly.
When you just start to sweat excessively, you can use cornstarch to control it. So, always carry a bottle of cornstarch powder which is lightly perfumed with talcum powder with you.
- Using tissue paper, wipe away the already present sweat. This prevents the cornstarch from forming clumps.
- Dust some cornstarch on the affected areas and leave it to dry completely.
- Apply another layer of cornstarch to seal the area. Let it dry before wearing clothes.
- Repeat whenever required.
- For Feet: You can dust generous amounts of cornstarch on the sole of your shoes. Or apply some cornstarch before wearing socks.
16. Magnesium Rich Foods
Sweating is also caused due to the deficiency of magnesium in the body. However, excessive sweating can also lead to magnesium deficiency in the body. You have to include magnesium rich foods in your diet in order to regulate body temperature. Regular intake of magnesium also helps to decrease the anxiety, another cause for sweating. Here is the list of magnesium rich foods you can include in your diet:
- Green leafy vegetables
- Whole grains
17. Water and Other Fluids
Sweating maintains the body temperature and flushes out the toxins from the body. The same is done by drinking plenty of water. So, it restricts your body to produce less amount of sweat. As you already know stress is considered one of the main reasons for sweating. Water helps your body to stay calm in stressful situations. So, it is very important to drink plenty of water. Not just water, you can drink other fluids too which can help your body replenish the minerals that you lose while sweating. Here are few drinks you can consume to stay hydrated.
- Juice of any fruit or vegetable
- Any herbal tea either hot or cold
- Coconut water
Tips and Precautions for Excessive Sweating
Other than the above mentioned home remedies, follow these simple tips to prevent sweating:
- Avoid stress and anxiety as they lead to excessive sweating. Do yoga, meditation, and other exercises to control stress and anxiety.
- Avoid or reduce the caffeine intake as it raises the blood pressure.
- Stop using harsh deodorants or soaps in your daily routine.
- Avoid sugary, spicy and chemically processed foods.
- Always shave your underarms and groin areas.
- Wearing loose fitting clothes allows clear air passage and prevents sweating. So, wear clothes that are made up of natural fabrics such as cotton and avoid synthetic fabrics such as nylon, polyesters, etc.
- Don’t take alcohol, drugs or smoke.
- Avoid consumption of too many hot drinks.
- Try to lose extra weight by reducing the fat levels, particularly abdominal fat.
- Grapes contain natural anti-oxidants which help to balance the body’s temperature and reduce the sweating. So, eat handful of grapes daily.
- Taking 2 teaspoons of natural vinegar and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar for three times a day will help to cure the excessive sweating. But make sure to drink it on an empty stomach for at least 30 minutes before or after meals.
- Drinking green tea or placing the tea bags on the sweat prone areas will give relief.
- Take your bath or shower daily with an anti-bacterial soap to get rid of the bacteria.
- Make sure to dry yourself before applying any deodorant or antiperspirant on the body.
- You can also use underarm liners and shoe inserts to absorb the sweat.
- Using dry shampoo will definitely help you control sweating of the scalp.
- The absorption property and drying property of salt helps in treating excessive sweating. Salt crystals work better than salt powder. In order to control excessive sweating, rub the salt crystals on the sweat prone areas which helps to absorb the sweat and block the pores. Being odorless it doesn’t leave any smell behind. They are very easy to carry and can be used whenever you want.
- Talcum powder works in the same way like corn starch. The powdery base of it absorbs the sweat away before it starts to break. Dust generous amounts of talcum powder all over your body concentrating more on sweat prone areas. Try to use non-perfumed or lightly perfumed talcum powder for effective results. Strong smelling powders can cause body odor.
- Intake of foods that are rich in zinc or taking zinc supplements will provide relief.
- Changing your lifestyle and diet habits as per the problem is very important. Prevention is better than any cure.
- Try to reduce the intake of foods that are rich in iodine. So avoid the vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, white onion and also beef, liver and turkey meats in your diet.
- Eating more natural foods such as cereals, milk and fish regularly will help you to get relief from sweating. Also include vitamin B and silicon mineral rich foods in your diet.
- When you’re travelling / exposed to sun for a longer period then wear a hat and shades.
- Schedule your work properly like arriving early to the work, important meetings, and appointments or to dinner so that your stress and anxiety levels will be maintained.
- Consult your doctor or healthcare provider if you’re unable to control excessive sweating. If sweating occurs due to chest pain, rapid heartbeat, and shortness of breath or sudden weight loss the consult a doctor for immediate medical attention.
- Make sure you know the root cause for your sweating before trying these remedies.
Did you try any of the above remedy for excessive sweating? Feel free to share your experiences, suggestions and queries in the comments section below.
Morning please i need urgent help i cant take it any more i have been sweating for the past 15 years tried everything stop for a few weeks and came back severely i bath 3times a day its affecting my hair,eyes,and my skin please give me
Stress and anxiety can trigger sweat so meditate regularly to control them. Reduce caffeine as it can raise blood pressure. Stop using soaps and shampoos with harsh chemicals. Avoid alcohol and smoking. Wear loose fitted clothing and prefer cotton clothes. Avoid foods rich in iodine.
try to masterbate 3 times a day finger your pussy after that you will never sweat again promise its true
Use certain dri antipespirant. It works really well
I want to know how to cure my unwanted or excessive sweat from palm and feet in every weather …it doesn’t matter its winter and a summer …
When i writting my palm get wet it creating a very problem …i suffer frm 8 year
Add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar in bowl of water and soak your feet and palms for 30 minutes. Apart from it, avoid deodorants and antiperspirants. Drink plenty of water to cool down your body temperature.
My hands and feet are sweating a lot past 21 years and i can’t do anything bcoz of sweating now am going to get married bt bcoz of sweating mehndi will not be shown in hands please tell me some solutions.
Choose any method as per your convenience and try it regularly. Stress is one of the main triggers for excessive sweating so control your stress levels. Apart from that drink grape juice to balance body’s temperature and control sweating.
Which grapes??green or purple grape juice
Both green and purple grapes are effective for controlling excessive sweating.
OK, here’s a juxtaposition. I can easily drink 4-5 coffees a day with no change whatsoever to my perspiration levels. As soon as I drink a cup of warm camomile tea I sweat massively. Same with green or black tea. That’s the opposite of what you suggest…what is it in tea that causes overheating and not coffee. It can’t be caffeine. Herbal teas don’t have caffeine.
Usually, herbal teas don’t cause or increase excessive sweating. There should be another reason for it. Consult a doctor to find out the exact reason for the problem. Once you analyze the root problem, we can provide the solution as per it.
Hi, how about head & facing sweating?
Try white sandalwood powder, wheat grass and chamomile methods for head and facing sweat.
I mostly sweat from my head. Can’t style my hair because I continually sweat. I just stand in the sun and sweat pours from my head. Walk into an air conditioned store and it’s like humidity on glass. The sweat starts pouring. Help”””
Try any method mentioned above in the article. Apart from that reduce stress levels, avoid caffeine consumption, and stay away from sugar, processed and spicy foods.
Hello ! I am 27 year old man . I have hyperhidrosis in armpit area. which of this methods is more effective to use ?
ACV, black tea and witch hazel are good for treating excess hyperhidrosis in armpit area.
I sweat from my hands, armpits and feet. What is an effective method that is easy to use.
Add some baking soda or apple cider vinegar into your bathwater. Soak for 20 minutes and dry off. Repeat the process daily for effective results. Apart from that, reduce your stress levels, avoid eating chemically processed foods, wear cotton and loose fitted clothes.
How do I stop sweating in d armpit
You try lemon, apple cider vinegar or black tea methods mentioned above in the article. Apart from that reduce stress levels, avoid consuming carbonated drinks, take bath with an antibacterial soap, reduce intake of iodine and drink plenty of water to flush out the toxins.
Hi, I sweat a lot. I tried the baking power but it burned my armpits so I stopped. I think I have hyperhidrosis. How do I know if it is really that? In addition to sweating on my hands, feet n armpits I also sweat in the groin area. Can you please tell me what to do. I don’t know what else I should do. I tried the acv but I can’t wear it to school because it has a very strong smell.
We recommend to consult a doctor to get diagnosed. Once the root cause is known, we can provide with solutions. Meanwhile reduce your stress levels and reduce iodine content in your food.
i sweat too much on my face, some times i sweat on the forehead only at night. but my main problem is to sweat on my face like in what ever im doing or at work i sweat more than others. even inside a car with others im the one who will sweat on the face. plz help
You can try the witch hazel method mentioned in the article. It is very effective in reducing the excess sweating especially on the face. Apart from that, reduce stress levels, increase zinc, iodine and vitamin B content in your diet.
My palms feet and underarms are sweating its very embarssing and anxiety also coming plz give some solution
You can try 1, 6, 7, 15th method mentioned above in the article. Apart from that reduce stress levels as it can trigger excessive sweating.
Often times, though in a hot environment I sweat excessively on my face and chest region. How do I control this?
You can try lemon, coconut oil or chamomile methods to reduce the excessive sweating.
Hello I am a 17 years old teen .I am having a underarm sweat disorder whenever I go to school .I sweat excessively an I feel very uncomfortable and sad at times .how can I control this.i use degree dry protection for women
Try to follow any underarm sweating method mentioned above in the article. Apart from that reduce stress levels, avoid consuming caffeine, avoid application of anti-perspirants and shave your underarms regularly.
What can i use to stop excessive arm sweat i am getting annoyed with it i wish i could get rid of it i have been to doctors and no result i buy the clinical deodarant an it works and stop
Try ACV, lemon or baking soda methods mentioned above in the article. Apart from that reduce stress levels and avoid using harsh deodorants.
My forehead, hands and underarms sweats excessively. Please give me a solution..
Try ACV drink, coconut oil, or chamomile methods mentioned above in the article.
What’s the best method for sweating in the groin area?
You can try 5, 9, or 13th method mentioned in the above article.
Hi, need your help regarding my sons excessive sweating. He suddenly breaks into sweat on body ( front and back ). So its generalised. We have been to doctor and consultant. Blood test results are normal and don’t really want to put him on medication for this. Would much prefer natural way! Please help!
Try witch hazel, and wheat grass methods for relief from excessive sweating.
I have sweating in my palms feets and armpits Itz from my birth…..Itz drips now a days…My age is nw 23…Wanna change my lifestyle…I can control when my mind is not occupied…Can’t work on regular basis…Is der any different jobs for hypertheris people…Or I would rather have no choice…For earning f**k paper fr my survival…Though Itz only the way….Itz difficult when itz comes to family guidelines…Rather it want me to be alone…And I love to be
Try black tea, sage, witch hazel, or ACV drink methods to reduce excessive sweating. Apart from that reduce stress levels, perform meditation and exercise regularly.
i hve been sweating on my plam nd feet 4 few dys nd even cnt sleep on time so this worries me
Try 1, 2, or 6th method mentioned above in the article.
I am suffering from heavy swet in underarms,palm and feet can u please tell me how to reduce it
You can follow lemon, sage, chamomile or wheatgrass methods mentioned in the above article. Apart from that reduce stress and anxiety levels.
So I sweat A LOT on my hands, feet and underarms. But recently I can’t stand how much I sweat, like I could be sitting in freezing cold weather and there will be huge sweat stains on my shirt. I’ve tried apple cider vinegar but I can’t stand the smell. So is there anyway that I can stop the sweat with something cheap and easy to find, and something that I don’t have to mix with other things?
I suffer from excessive sweating and kinda combine my favorite homemade remedies with my favorite store bought products. A couple times a week I’ll utilize apple cider vinegar for my underarms and it realllllly really helps, it’s become a personal fave. And after I shower at night I apply Certain Dri antiperspirant which helps give me sweating relief for about 2-3 days usually, it’s definitely most effective when applied at night. The combo of both those things have significantly improved my excessive underarm sweating
I sweat alot on my nose nd umperts pls help can’t take this no more
I am suffering from heavy underarm sweating….I always prefer dark colour dress because of the sweatness in underarm plz say some remedy for this…….
I sweat excessively to the point that my shirt is soaked with sweat front and back. What can I do? I tried talking to my doctor but he wouldn’t listen or do anything about it. Help!!!
How to stop groin/crotch sweat?
Help I sweat alot under arms what can I do ?