A sore throat is very painful! It is caused by inflammation of the mucous membrane lining the pharynx by bacterial or viral infection.
How Lemon Works to Cure a Sore Throat:
- Lemon contains (citrus acid) which helps to break up the mucus that causes sore throat and also helps to soothe your throat from the pain and inflammation.
- Lemon is rich in vitamin C and anti-oxidants which helps to boost your immune system.
- Lemon is a natural antiseptic which helps to kill the bacteria or viruses in the throat.
- Lemons are rich in several essential vitamins and nutrients.
- Lemon juice increases salivation and helps to moisten or lubricate an irritated throat.
How to use Lemon to Treat a Sore Throat
Follow these simple recipes to get rid of a sore throat:
1. Lemon Juice
- Juice half a lemon and dilute in a small amount of water.
- Mix it well and use this liquid to gargle.
- Alternatively you can gargle with straight lemon juice.
2. Lemon and Honey Hot Toddy
- Add one tablespoon of honey to a large mug.
- Pour hot water and a teaspoon of lemon juice into the mug and stir well.
- Place in a microwave and heat until it is hot.
- Add a slice of lemon and enjoy.
- Repeat regularly.
3. Lemon Juice and Honey
- Mix a teaspoon of honey, half lemon juice in a cup of warm water.
- Stir it well and drink slowly.
- Follow this process regularly.
- You could also take half a lemon, sprinkle salt and pepper and lick it slowly.
4. Lemon, Ginger and Honey
- Put a tablespoon of grated ginger in a cup of boiling water.
- Steep for 3 minutes.
- Add a tablespoon each of freshly squeezed lemon juice and honey and stir well.
- Strain the tea and drink regularly.
5. Hot Lemon and Honey
- Skewer half a lemon over a flame.
- Roast until the peel turns golden brown and let it cool slightly.
- Juice it and mix with some honey.
- Drink regularly.
6. Lemon and Salt Water Gargle
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon and add a teaspoon of salt.
- Stir it well in a cup of warm water.
- Gargle it three times a day for at least one minute.
7. Honey and Lemon Tea
- Add 2 teaspoons of honey and lemon juice to a cup of warm water and stir well.
- Sip it slowly but make sure that the tea is not too hot.
- Drink regularly.
It’s recommended that you drink fresh lemon water every day, first thing with an empty stomach, as this will help to relieve a sore throat and many other health problems.
Do you know any other benefits of lemon or home remedies for sore throat? If so, please share them with us!
Would it be bad if I sucked on a lemon to get all the juice out if you have a sore throat? I heard its good for it but I’m not sure. Please reply as soon as you can, my throat has been killing me!
You can suck a lemon. However it’s good to limit the consumption if you have other throat infections.
I had a really sore throat and it was extremely painful. Eventually I couldn’t handle the pain anymore so o squeezed two lemons into a glass and added salt. I stirred until the salt dissolved in the juice and then sipped on it being sure to have it land on the burning parts of my throat. Sure it was extremely painful drinking it but it helped almost instantly. Found it very helpful.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Erm i felt better after one sip… Thank you for the facts it really makes me feel happier lol.
I have a bottle of concentrated lemon juice. Can I just sip on this straight with no mixer? I think I might go ahead and try. Hopefully don’t make it worse haha. Would love to hear your opinion. Thanks
The concentrated lemon juice contains high amounts of citric acid which can be too harsh on the sore throat and cause additional problems. It is better to dilute with water and drink it. However you can try raw too if you are comfortable with it.
When I had the start of a sore throat, the first thing I do was search some lemon or lime.
I can confirm that this works.. done it all my life. But the relief doesn’t last long.
I drank lemon with water and honey yesterday…today I found more irritated…what is the reason for this???shall I continue???
Usually, it doesn’t cause any irritation. However, if it is causing discomfort then try a different method mentioned in this article -http://wellness.guide/sore-throat/
I’ve been having a rough time with a raw and sore throat.
I’ve used lemon tactics and salt water mix and really nothing’s helping.
Warm water soothes for little time but I had lemon juice and it just burns I know that lemon will bring down swelling and help get rid of bacteria, But relief doesn’t last long. Any other tips?
Lemon juice is also useful to maintain the density of blood.itcan liquefy our blood and to some extent protects from heart blocking