Acne is an unsightly problem faced by many people across the world. It is caused due to excess oil produced by the sebaceous glands. The excess oil accumulates in the pores attracts dirt and other impurities into it which clogs up the pores. The clogged pores provides hospitable environment for bacterial activity which leads to swelling, redness and pain.
Factors that contribute to excess oil production are hormonal changes, pollution, stress, improper nutrition and others. The chemicals present in commercial acne products can damage your skin immunity. So, opt for natural solutions like olive oil, oatmeal, papaya and sea salt. Now let’s us discuss olive oil for acne in detail.
Is Olive Oil Really Effective in Treating Acne?
- Olive oil is naturally antibacterial which helps to kill germs that cause acne.
- Anti-oxidants present in it reduce the appearance of acne scars.
- It reduces redness, swelling, and inflammation caused by breakouts.
- The presence of polyphenols helps to protect against free radicals that damage skin.
- The nutrients and essential fatty acids in olive oil heal damaged skin.
- Olive oil cleanses away dead skin cells and other toxins that clog pores.
- The vitamin E in olive oil restores the skin’s natural oil balance which helps to prevent acne along with scars.
- Olive oil contains beta-carotenes, mono-unsaturated fatty acids, vitamins D, E, and K that strengthen the immune system to prevent infections that cause acne.
How to use Olive Oil to Treat Acne?
We have listed several ways of using olive oil to get rid of acne. You can try any one among them regularly to get relief without any side effects.
Quick Tip: Cleansing away the impurities present on the skin helps deep penetration of the application and boost the effectiveness. This can be achieved by a facewash formulated for acne prone skin.
1. Olive Oil and Sea Salt Scrub
Sea salt exfoliates the impurities and excess oil that clogs up the pores. Apart from that, it balances the pH levels of the skin.l
- Combine ¼ to ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil and 1 cup of fine sea salt.
- Wash your face with plain water and apply mixture while it is still wet.
- Gently massage in circular motions for few minutes.
- Leave it on for 5 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process 3 times weekly.
- Note: you can store the leftover mixture in refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
Note: Sea salt can dry out the skin completely, especially for people with dry skin. Excessive dryness can also trigger over production of oil. So, it is recommended to apply moisturizer that doesn’t clog the pores to maintain the oil balance on the skin.
2. Olive Oil and Lemon Juice
The L-ascorbic acid present in lemon contains astringent properties which shrink the skin pores. Its powerful antioxidants fight off the free radicals causing breakouts.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and 1/8 teaspoon of fresh-squeezed lemon juice.
- Massage the mixture on the skin in circular motions.
- Leave it on for 5-10 minutes and rinse with water.
- Repeat the process daily until you achieve the desired results.
- For added benefit, you can massage a small amount of olive oil after rinsing off.
3. Olive Oil Massage
Massaging with olive oil improves blood circulation and helps to clear impurities from the skin pores. The application of olive oil can be left overnight on the skin as it doesn’t clog the pores.
- Massage extra virgin olive oil on the affected area in circular motions.
- Leave the application overnight.
- In the morning, rinse with mild cleanser and water.
- Repeat the process every night.
For added benefit: After massaging with olive oil, soak a soft cloth in hot water, wring out the excess and place it on the application. Let it cool down to room temperature and remove it.
4. Olive Oil and Baking Soda
Baking soda exfoliates impurities that clog the pores and it helps restore the skin’s pH balance. It also reduces the swelling and shrinks the pimples.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil with 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Wash face with water and apply mixture to wet skin.
- Massage in circular motions for few minutes and leave it on for 10 – 20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process daily.
5. Olive Oil and Rosehip Oil
The deep penetrating power of rosehip oil enables it to get absorbed into the skin easily and provide nourishment to the skin cells. It also contains anti-inflammatory properties and prevents scarring.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of olive oil with 1 teaspoon of rose hip oil.
- Apply the mixture to acne prone skin and massage gently in circular motions.
- Leave it on for 5 minutes then rinse with warm water.
- Repeat the process 3 times daily.
6. Olive Oil and Garlic
The allicin compound present in garlic contains potent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. This combination is effective in treating acne and acne scars.
Process 1: Internal Consumption
- Peel and mince 4 garlic cloves.
- Blend garlic and 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil into a paste.
- Consume 1 tablespoon of this mixture followed by an 8oz glass of water.
- Repeat the process 2 times in a day.
Alternative Method: Sauté 1 minced garlic in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Remove from the heat and spread it on a toasted bread. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese and pepper for taste. You can try this recipe regularly to prevent acne.
Note: Store the leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container (it will last up to 3 days).
Process 2: Topical Application
- Peel and mince few garlic cloves.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a pan.
- Add minced garlic to hot oil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Strain the oil and discard garlic.
- Before bed, massage garlic oil on the affected area in circular motions.
- Leave it on overnight and rinse with lukewarm water and mild cleanser in the morning.
- Repeat the method daily.
7. Olive Oil, Honey and Tea Tree Oil Face Mask
Tea tree oil contains antibacterial properties that deal with acne causing bacteria. The soothing properties of honey moisturize the skin and reduces the inflammation.
- Mix ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil, 10 drops of tea tree oil, ½ cup of sugar, and 1 tablespoon of raw honey to make a paste.
- Apply the mixture on acne affected areas.
- Massage in circular motions for few minutes.
- Leave it on for 5 minutes, and then rinse with warm water and pat dry.
- Repeat the method regularly to get rid of acne.
8. Olive Oil and Tea Tree Oil Steam
Steaming helps to unclog the pores and enables the ingredients to penetrate deeply for providing relief from the acne.
- Wash your face and pat dry.
- Mix 9 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil with 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil.
- Soak a clean wash cloth in hot water and wring out excess.
- Place cloth over the affected area. This helps the mixture to penetrate deeply into the skin pores.
- Apply the oil and massage gently in circular motion.
- Leave it on for few minutes and then rinse off with water.
- Repeat the method twice daily.
9. Olive Oil and Castor Oil
The ricinoleic present in castor oil provides relief from swelling, redness and pain associated with breakouts. It also contains anti-bacterial and anti-septic properties. This process helps to treat cystic acne on face, back and chest.
- Mix equal parts of extra virgin olive oil and castor oil.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area by massaging in circular motions.
- Soak a clean wash cloth in hot water and place it over the application. It enables the mixture to penetrate deeply.
- Remove the wash cloth, rinse with water, and pat dry.
- Repeat the treatment once in a day.
10. Olive Oil and Clove Oil for Back Acne
Clove oil contains analgesic and antiseptic properties which are beneficial for fighting bacteria causing acne. This process is very effective in treating back acne.
- Mix 10 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil with 1 teaspoon of clove oil.
- Apply directly to breakouts as a spot treatment.
- Leave it on for few minutes then rinse with water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process 2-3 times in a week.
11. Olive Oil for Cystic Acne
The combination of olive oil, lemon juice and salt has been very effective in treating cystic acne.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil, ¼ teaspoon of fresh-squeezed lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Gently massage the mixture on the affected area.
- Leave it on for few minutes then rinse with warm water.
- Repeat the method daily.
Alternative: Mix olive oil with water and apply on the cystic acne prone skin areas, Leave on until dry and rinse it off with water.
12. Olive Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Apart from that it also balances the pH levels of the skin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with 4 teaspoons of water.
- Wash the affected area with water and pat dry.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture on the affected area.
- Once it dries, massage extra virgin olive oil in circular motions and pat dry.
- Repeat the method once in a day.
Note: You can add more amounts of water if ACV solution is causing irritation. For added benefit, add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice to diluted apple cider vinegar.
13. Olive Oil and Lavender Oil
The astringent properties of lavender oil remove impurities from the skin pores, treats acne and rejuvenates the damaged skin.
- Combine 1 – 4 drops of lavender oil and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Massage gently the mixture on the affected areas for few minutes.
- Leave it to dry until completely absorbed by the skin.
- Repeat the process once in a day.
Note: You can store the leftover mixture in a cool and dry place.
Is Olive Oil Soap Effective in Treating Acne?
The chemical composition of olive oil is much like that of sebum (the skin’s natural protective oil), so it helps restore the skin’s natural moisture balance. It also triggers the production of collagen and elastin, which keep the skin firm, supple, and healthy.
Here is how you can make an olive oil soap at home…
- Chop few pieces of ‘Melt and Pour’ soap base.
- Using a double boiler, melt the soap base.
- Once it is melted, remove from the flame.
- Add few tablespoons of olive oil into it and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into moulds and set it aside till it hardens.
- Once it hardens, remove from the moulds and store them in a butter wrap.
- Use this soap daily instead of commercial soaps which contains harsh chemicals.
Tips and Precautions:
- To avoid sunburn, make sure you wash off olive oil application before going outside.
- Make sure to use extra virgin olive for effective results. You can purchase it in any Mediterranean markets, at Wal-Mart or online store.
- Using olive oil treatments more often than recommended can exacerbate acne.
- It will take at least a week for to observe improvement.
- If you are busy person and don’t have enough time to prepare the remedies, then here are our top picks for face masks meant to treat acne, which don’t contain any harsh chemicals that damage the skin.
- Steaming the skin before using olive oil treatments help to open up the pores and enable the goodness of the mixture to penetrate deeply.
- Regular use of olive oil in your cooking will also enhance your results.
- Oil pulling also has shown significant improvement in treating acne. Once a day, place 1 tablespoon of olive oil in your mouth, swish it around for 15 minutes without swallowing then spit it out.
- Olive oil treatments are significantly more effective when combined with a healthy diet, regular exercise, and proper hygiene.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day to hydrate the skin.
- Eat plenty of protein and leafy greens. Avoid sugar and carbohydrates.
- Do yoga and meditation to reduce stress levels.
If these treatments don’t produce noticeable results within 4-6 weeks, consult your doctor. Have you tried any of these methods for treating acne with olive oil? Do you know of any others we haven’t mentioned? Share your experience with us in the comment section below.
Can give me some more method
Hi karthick, you can find other methods here – http://wellness.guide/acne/
I have a question what if you don’t struggle with that much acne but you use olive oil and lemon juice in your night routines everyday would that cause your face to breakout
Does olive oil really control the acne skin?
Yes it can. Olive oil cleanses the accumulated dead skin and other toxins that clog the pores. Its antibacterial properties deal with bacteria causing acne. Vitamin E present in it restores healthy skin and its oil balance.
In how many days I can get rid of acnes Applying only Olive Oil for over night?
It is difficult to mention the exact time as everyone’s skin and healing capacity is different. So try the remedies regularly with patience. Apart from that drink plenty of water to flush out toxins, avoid oily or deep fried food and eat a nutritional diet to balance your hormones.
Thank You Very Much
May i use Olive oil and turmeric for acne
Yes, you can try the olive oil and turmeric application.
My face is more infected by the pimples and acne and become a white face to black face . And my pimples are permanent pimples. Please help me for relief tha problem.
Please try any method mentioned above in the article. Apart from that, exfoliate regularly, avoid oily foods, include foods rich in vitamin C and A in your daily diet.
Hi..can the pimple pores be filled up with any of the natural remedies. ..any natural solution.
Combine baking soda and water to make a paste. Apply the paste on the affected areas. Massage the application for few minutes and rinse with water. Repeat the process regularly. This helps to shrink the open pores.
Really it’s a help us ah.. ??… Cz I’m using only oil not mixing anything .. It’s helping me na Mam???
Yes, it will help. Olive oil contains antibacterial property, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory property, polyphenols, mono-saturated fatty acids, and vitamins which are helps to treat acne and nourish the skin.
Is there any chance of increase in redness and pimples if I use olive oil daily ?
Mostly olive oil doesn’t cause any redness. If you are applying more than the required amounts, then olive oil may clog the pores and lead to new breakouts.
Hi..i have cystic acne and I want to try one of the mentioned methods to treat it which requires to use a gauze…is it ok to use a paraffin gauze dressing BP with turmeric and can I leave it overnight? Thank you
We usually don’t recommend applying paraffin wax for treating acne as for some people it can leave burns and unbearable burning sensation. If you can try any other method then we recommend using any method mentioned above in the article.
Hi ,I need to brighten my skin.. also I have lots of pimple marks in my face.. I bought extra virgin olive oli yesterday..so by directly applying that in my face will reduce my darkness ? I have too much of darkness in forehead.. can u please reply..mam..
Yes, olive oil can help to reduce pimple marks and lighten the darkness. It contains antioxidants which repair the damages skin and evens out the skin tone.
I am 35 year old.when I apply olive oil to my face pimples start appearing especially on my forehead.please suggest how to use olive oil as fine lines have started developing on my forehead.
As per your description, we are not sure of your exact problem. If you want olive oil remedies to treat fine lines, then you can find them here – http://wellness.guide/olive-oil-for-wrinkles/.
Hi, i’ve been using castor oil on my face since january this year to get rid of the pimples. At first is seemed to help me because the pimples got away, but now my complexion is very light in a way that everyone thinks im using the creams to lighten my skin. But that is not the problem, the problem is that the pimples are now back. What could be the cause of them returning back while i’m still applying castor oil on my face every night. What if i can now use olive oil, will the pimples go away?
Even after applying castor oil if you are getting new breakouts, then it is might be due to internal problems. In order to prevent new breakouts, eat a nutritional diet, exercise regularly, drink lemon water for detoxification and avoid oily & fatty foods.
hi, i do a olive oil ans sugar scrub every other night to help treat my face. Is the sugar going to help or should i use something else?
Yes, the gritty nature of sugar helps to exfoliate the dead skin cell and sebum trapped in the pores. So, you can continue with olive oil and sugar scrub.
does any of these remedies work for things like eczema or acne scars?
Yes, olive oil helps in treating eczema and acne scars. For eczema you can read this article – http://wellness.guide/olive-oil-for-eczema/ and for acne scars, try any method mentioned in this article – http://wellness.guide/olive-oil-for-acne-scars/
Can i only use olive oil on its own to reduce the acne and the acne scars
Yes, you can. Olive oil alone is effective in treating acne and acne scars.
If i can use olive oil for my oily skin and is it ok to leave over night ?
Yes, you can. Olive oil helps to regulate sebum production and doesn’t clog the pores. You can leave the application overnight. But make sure apply only small amounts.
Hello Im pimples problems olive oil is good for pimples and pimples marks and Dry face and redness please help me Tnx admin
Yes, olive oil is good for reducing the swelling, redness of acne and lighten the acne scars. Choose any method mentioned above and try it regularly until you achieve the results.
Does the olive can be use as a lotion?it can be also apply overnight?for my dry skin and scars?please help me?
Yes, olive oil application can be left overnight for treating dry skin and scars.
I’ve just read the question and answers above ?
Do I need to wash my face with a regular face wash first before I try any of the above remedies? Or is one of the above remedies okay to use as a facewash alone and that would be the only thing I would use morning and night?
Yes, you have to wash your face with a regular face wash to remove any impurities on the skin. It also helps to open up the pores.
My newborn has develop contact dermatitis. Which causes some red pimples on his face. Which seems to look worst when I woke up in the morning. Can olive oil works for him. He is two weeks old.
Yes, you can.
Can I use olive oil and rub in my hands then massage morning and night after I wash my face or just at night so it won’t clog my pores. I haven’t found any luck in moisturizers because they tend to break me out so I want to switch to a natural oil that I can use everyday…
Yes, you can use olive oil as daily moisturizer. You can apply it both in the morning and at night.
Is there any difference if i put classic olive oil instead of extra virgin oil ?
Hi. Can i use expired extra olive oil in my face to prevent acne ?
Hi, my problem is pimples and dry skin. My palms have developed a second layer every day, it’s like new damages on my each finger
Can only olive oil work on me plis mam
Is it ok to use pure olive oil instead of extra virgin olive oil? It is difficult to find it at my area.
what brand of olive oil do you suggest for best result? pls, i need help!
If I use extra virgin oil at night , what am I supposed to use during the day ?please help.My skin is oily.