Skin tags (or Acrochorda in medical terms) appear most commonly on the neck, armpits, eyelids, inner thighs and groin areas of the skin. These abnormal growths are typically flesh – colored and vary in size. They are composed of blood vessels and collagen fibers, so you should not get any pain and they will not affect your health.
There is no definite cause for the existence of skin tags, but some suggestions include obesity, hormonal changes, diabetes, use of steroids and human papillomavirus (HPV) and rubbing against clothing.
So instead of choosing expensive over the counter remedies, why not try natural remedies for skin tags which are safe and cost affordable. Tea tree is one of the best ingredients for these remedies.
Tea Tree Oil And Skin Tag Removal
Tea tree oil is a colorless essential oil that has been extracted from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia (tea trees), native to Australia.
Tea tree oil has anti-bacterial, anti-viral, antiseptic and anti-fungal properties that help to dry out the skin tags from inside and keeps the skin clear from impurities.
- It has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties.
- Generally, the reduction of size will occur when the cells in tags are deprived of oxygen and supply of blood. Tea tree oil has this drying effect.
- It has terpinen – 4 – ol and cineol and penetrates deep into to the skin.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Skin Tags:
1. Tea Tree Oil
Even pregnant women or older people can use this method to remove skin tags.
- Cleanse and dry the skin on and around the skin tags.
- Soak a cotton ball in water and squeeze, then add 2 – 4 drops of tea tree oil.
- Use this to apply on the affected skin.
- Massage gently in a circular motion for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Wash it off and pat the skin dry.
- Do this process 3 times a day.
- Or apply tea tree oil with a damp cotton ball and leave for a few minutes. Then wrap the skin with an adhesive bandage.
- Or you can apply tea tree oil directly on the skin tags without diluting it.
- Or dip a q-tip in tea tree oil and place this on the skin tag. Remove the cotton on the q-tip and place it on the tag. Secure it with a tape or bandage.
- Do not apply undiluted tea tee oil if you have dry or sensitive skin.
2. Tea Tree Oil with Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Juice
- Mix 4 drops of organic apple cider vinegar, 5 drops of fresh lemon juice and 3 drops of tea tree oil in a bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball in this mix then place on the affected skin.
- Cover the ball with a band aid and leave it on for few minutes.
- Repeat the same process for twice a day for about 10 days.
3. Tea Tree Oil with Olive Oil
- Mix 2 – 3 drops of tea oil with 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Apply this mix on the skin tags using a cotton ball.
- Massage it gently for a minute or two and wrap it with a bandage.
- Leave it on for few minutes and then remove.
- Note: You can also add jojoba oil or clove oil or water or any other carrier oil instead of olive oil.
4. Tea Tree Oil with Castor Oil
This combinational process is very effective in treating vaginal skin tags.
- Mix 3 – 4 drops of tea tree oil with a teaspoon of castor oil.
- Wash the affected area before applying.
- Apply on the affected skin.
- This oil mix not only clears the skin tags but also cleanses the area well.
- Note: If you have burning or stinging sensations wash the area immediately.
Tea Tree Oil with Other Combinations:
If these processes are not working, tea tree oil needs to be combined with other natural oils / natural ingredients that cause the skin tags to vanish more effectively.
- Cashew plant is well known for its antiseptic, antibacterial, astringent and anti-dysenteric properties.
- Bloodroot is used to clear the dead skin tissues and thus promotes the healthy healing of the skin. This root when mixed with tea tree oil clears many skin ailments including skin tags.
- Fig plant and tea tree oil have antiseptic and antibacterial properties that dries the skin tags.
- Greater celandine plant with tea tree oil helps to remove skin tags, warts, moles etc.
How long to use Tea Tree Oil for Skin Tags?
It completely depends up on the frequency of using tea oil on skin tags and the size of the skin tag. You have to use this tea oil for no less than 15 days to see the signs of improvement. You can switch to other skin tag removal methods, if you didn’t find any results after a month.
Best Tea Tree Oil for Skin Tags:
Use 100% organic and pure tea tree oil. There are many brands of tea tree oil that are available widely in the market like Nature’s Bounty tea tree oil, Walgreens pure tea tree oil, Tea Tree Therapy tea tree oil, Desert Essence tea tree oil, Thursday Plantation tea tree oil, Now tea tree oil, Jason tea tree oil, Hollywood Beauty tea tree oil, Holista tea tree oil, etc.
Tips and Precautions:
Follow these tips and precautions to get safe and quick results from the problem.
- Never ever ingest this tea oil into the body.
- If you have sensitive or dry skin, then always remember to dilute the tea tree oil with some water or any carrier oil.
- Always make sure to use 100% natural tea tree oil.
- Make sure to do a patch text first before using these methods.
- Do not apply tea tree oil on sensitive areas like skin surrounding eyes, eyelids, anus, genital areas, etc.
- Before applying tea tree oil wash the skin tag affected area with water and mild soap and dry it completely.
- You can also use tea tree oil based creams (like revital skin tag removal), lotions and sprays.
- Apply petroleum jelly to the healthy skin around the skin tag to protect the skin from direct contact with concentrated tea tree oil.
- To dilute tea tree oil, mix 1 to 2 drops of the essential oil with 1 tbsp of any base oil such as sunflower oil or aloe vera oil.
Please feel free to share your experiences with us!
I’m silent reader of your blog. I heard that garlic pods work for skin tags.How to use them to treat skin tags?
Yes, garlic contains allicin which helps in treating the skin tags. Crush and mine a garlic pod, apply it on cleaned skin tag and secure it with an adhesive tape. Leave it overnight and rinse off in the morning. Repeat the process daily for few weeks. For more remedies related to tags you can read in this article – http://wellness.guide/skin-tags/
I have been using tea tree oil for several weeks now. The tag is very dry. Do I continue until the tag “drops” off or can I speed things up by cutting or pinching the tag off ?
Yes, please continue until the tag comes off. The tag gets dried up before falling off from the skin. Don’t cut or pinch the skin tag as it can lead to skin infections.
I’m seeing skin tags on and around vagina . not sure if this tea tree oil works . please suggest
Yes, it works. But makes sure to apply only diluted tea tree oil.
Can I use tea tree oil to remove moles?
Yes, you can. You can find the remedies in this article – http://wellness.guide/tea-tree-oil-for-moles/
Hi I have large anal skin tags after my second child and waiting to see a colorectal surgeon but hoping for some relief. I have been using tea tree oil for a week now and feel like it’s the same and more red. I know it’s larger so will take longer. Do I continue to use it ? Skin tags are runinging my life 🙁
As per your description, the tea tree oil application has not shown any positive results. So, we recommend to consult a doctor.
I have been using Tea tree oil 100% and it worked great on skin tags moles it was great, put on a cotton bud, secured with plaster over night and wow the results were great after a couple of weeks would not believe the skin tag was there.
tried it on moles and it reduced them, be careful to try it on your skin first as it may cause a burn but works great.
Pity I couldn’t upload a picture to show the evidence, the best thing is only bought the bottle for a pound in poundland don’t try expensive treatments until you try this.
I have been using Tea Tree Oil for last three weeks for my Skin Tag. It really worked. In a couple of weeks, I saw the skin tag changed colors and one night it fall off.
Thanks for sharing your experience Samir.
Thanks for sharing your experience, It’s been two weeks for me and I was about to give up. I needed the motivation of your results.
How do the skin tags fall off from vaginal area
You can try 1 or 2 method mentioned above in the article to remove the skin tags from vaginal areas.
Hi have got tag near my eye brow. Have started to use tea tree oil since 3 days.When apply tea tree oil on it ,my eyes have sensation of burning and is ok after 10 mins.Do you think this may affect my eyes
Tea tree oil may affect the eyes, we recommend to avoid using tea tree oil in removing tags near the eyes. You can consult a dermatologist for removing the skin tag.
I have three skin tags on my eyelid. I have been searching for a few weeks to find a suitable skin tag removal method for this area of the body. Do you have any suggestions on the best natural way to try and get rid of these skin tags.
As the skin tags are on the eye lids, we recommend consulting a dermatologist to them removed.
I have a lot of skin tags here and there on my face. Its just starting stage . They are very small in size. Can i apply tea tree oil ( diluted with olive oil ) all over my face like a mask ? Is it safe ? Pls do rply
No, It is better to apply the combination only on the skin tags instead of spreading it on the entire face.
I been using the tea tree oil for a week; my skin tags are puff up (like being more round and lighter than my skin). Is this normal. Sometime I dilute it with water on a cotton ball and sometimes I do not. Is this normal and how long before they fall off.
It is just a normal way of healing. Try the method for another few days until it falls off. If it didn’t fall off even after 1 – 2 weeks then contact a dermatologist.
Can they remove normal moles ( common in every one ) that are not 3D in shape ?
For mole removal method try any process mentioned in this article – http://wellness.guide/moles-removal/
Hi, can I dilute the tea tree oil with organic coconut oil for my vaginal skin tag?
Yes, you can. Try it and share your experience.
Can tea tree oil be used on a skin tag on the nipple? It’s very tiny and I’m not sure I can apply the tea tree oil on it without it getting on other parts of the nipple. Will it hurt the skin there?
No, it is better to avoid tea tree oil or any other application to remove skin tag on the nipple. We suggest consulting a doctor for the removal.
I have many, many skin tags on my neck and eye lids. For my neck, because I have so many, can I apply the oul mixture to them and NOT cover them? It’s summer time and a bit warm to have my neck covered
Yes, you can apply the mixture and avoid covering them. But it would be less effective and take more time to remove skin tags than usual.
Is the diluted method ok for a skin tag on scrotum?
Nope, don’t apply any home remedy to treat skin tag on scrotum. As it is a sensitive area, it can be dangerous. It is better to consult a dermatologist if you want to remove skin tag on scrotum.
i have tiny bumps on my neck, looks like skin tag but their so tiny, and a lot: actually spread all over my neck on the right right side. can I just apply the tea tree oil to cover on the area, leave it on and reapply 2 times a day?. Thank you
Yes, you can but make sure to patch test before trying it on the affected areas. For some people with sensitive skin, direct application of tea tree oil can cause burning sensation.
hi i have many many upsetting looking skin tags all over my neck. If i apply tee tree oil all over am i better to cover my neck with a bandage and how often per day do i apply tee tree oil please
Avoid applying tea tree oil all over the neck. Apply it only on the skin tags. Avoid applying on the normal skin. Make sure to dilute it before applying it. If you are trying for the first time then try it only on 1 skin tag first. If it works then you can try with another. You can repeat the application 3 times in a day.
Most I add something to Tea Tree oil before I used it?
You have to dilute it with any carrier oil like coconut oil, olive oil or almond oil before using it.
Okay…. How long is he going to take before he remove……. If I don’t see any of the oil can I still used it like that.?
And how am my going to dilute it if I later find any one of the oil… Because I have already been using it like that..
Why are you not replying me me?
I was wondering if I could add a drop to a band-aid and put it over the skin tag for a period of time? If yes, about how long do you say? And do I have to dilute it?
I have a large skin tag in my breast region do you recommend me using the tea tree oil method in this area?
Will Tea Tree Oil help reduce eczema blotches?
Will Tea Tree Oil help with Eczema blotches. How do I use it?
I just started using the tea tree oil today I have a small skin tag on my forehead, I clipped the skin tag last night and it didn’t hurt or anything but I would like to know how long it would take for the skin tag to fall off I have used a cotton ball with the tea tree and I used a band aid I let it stay on my forehead for the whole day any suggestions???