Oily skin is caused by overproduction of sebum or skin oils by the sebaceous glands. Though we need natural sebum to keep the skin moisturized, its overproduction can lead to outbreaks of acne. Apart from that, it gives a dull and coarse appearance to the skin, thus making it look unattractive.
Various factors that cause oily skin include hormonal dysfunction or fluctuations, genetic predisposition, diet rich in fatty and oily foods, stress, etc. Thankfully, there are a number of natural home remedies such as aloe vera that can help to reduce oiliness of skin and give it a squeaky clean appearance.
Is Aloe Vera Useful for Oily Skin?
- The natural astringent properties of aloe vera gel absorb excess oil, sebum and dirt from the skin pores.
- Hydrating properties of aloe vera gel moisturizes the skin and rejuvenates it without making it oily.
- The cooling and anti-inflammatory properties soothe the skin and cures pimples associated with oily skin.
How to Use Aloe Vera for Oily Skin?
Aloe vera can be used alone or in combination with other natural ingredients as a remedy for oily skin.
1. Aloe Vera Gel
- Cut a leaf from the middle of the aloe vera plant and slice it lengthwise into two halves.
- Scrape out the transparent gel from inside the leaf using a spoon.
- Apply this gel to your clean face and neck.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash off with water.
- Repeat the application daily.
2. Aloe Vera and Honey Face Pack
The humectant properties of honey moisturize the skin without making it excessively oily. It absorbs excess moisture and sebum from the skin and reduces the risk of breakouts and skin infections.
- Take 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel and 1 tablespoon of honey in a bowl.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly using a spoon.
- Apply this face pack to your face and neck.
- Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and dry with a towel.
- Reapply this pack 3 to 4 times a week.
3. Aloe Vera and Tea Tree Oil Moisturizer
The cleansing properties of tea tree oil remove excess oil, dirt and dead skin cells from the skin pores. Its astringent properties shrink the open skin pores.
- Take a clean air tight container.
- Add 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel and 10 to 15 drops of tea tree oil into it.
- Mix it with a spoon and apply it to your skin after cleansing and toning it.
- You can apply this moisturizer 2 times in a day.
4. Aloe Vera and Lemon Juice Toner
Vitamin C present in lemon juice makes it an effective natural astringent that closes the pores present in the skin and lower sebum production.
- Take equal parts of aloe vera juice and lemon juice in a container.
- Mix it well and soak a cotton ball in this mixture.
- Wipe your face with this toner after cleansing thoroughly.
- Repeat the process 2 times in a day.
5. Aloe Vera and Cucumber Face Mask
The hydrating properties of cucumber moisturize the skin without making it oily. Its cooling properties soothe the skin and close the pores which in turn reduce oiliness.
- Take 3 to 4 tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cucumber juice or grated cucumber to it.
- Mix the ingredients using a spoon.
- Apply this face pack evenly on your face and neck.
- Leave it on for 30 to 40 minutes and then wash it off with water.
6. Aloe Vera and Oatmeal Scrub
High level of saponin content in oatmeal helps to cleanse the skin and remove excess oil, sebum, dirt and dead skin cells from the pores without making it too dry.
- Soak 2 tablespoons of oatmeal in water for some time.
- Add 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel into it and mix thoroughly with a spoon.
- Apply this mixture on your face and neck. Massage in circular motion with your finger tips for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Let it sit for another 10 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water.
7. Aloe Vera and Yogurt Face Pack
Lactic acid present in yogurt acts as a natural exfoliant that removes dead skin cells, dirt and excess oil from the skin pores without stripping away the natural oil.
- Take 2 tablespoons each of aloe vera gel and yogurt in a bowl.
- Mix it thoroughly with a spoon.
- Apply this pack on your clean face and neck. Let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
8. Aloe Vera and Rosewater Face Pack
Rosewater helps to restore the natural pH balance of the skin which helps to reduce excessive oiliness of the skin and control sebum production by the sebaceous glands.
- Take 2 tablespoons of fresh aloe vera gel in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of rosewater into it and mix it well.
- Dip a cotton ball in this mixture and apply it all over the skin and neck.
- Leave it on till it dries out completely.
- Wash it off with cold water.
9. Aloe Vera and Mint Cubes
Menthol present in mint leaves acts as a natural astringent and cooling agent that shrinks the open pores and reduces sebum production. It also helps to cool down and soothe the skin.
- Take 4 to 5 tablespoons of aloe vera gel in a bowl.
- Crush a handful of mint leaves to form a smooth paste and add it to the aloe vera gel.
- Whisk the ingredients to from a smooth paste.
- Pour this paste in to an ice tray and freeze it for 30 minutes.
- Pop out a cube and rub it on your face thoroughly.
10. Aloe Vera and Green Tea Wipe
The tannins present in green tea suck out impurities and oil from deep inside the pores without over-drying the skin. It also reduces the size of the skin pores.
- Bring a cup of water to boil and add 2 green tea bags to it.
- Cover the cup and let the tea bags steep for 10 minutes.
- Discard the tea bags and let the tea cool down completely.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel to it and mix well.
- Soak a cotton pad in this mixture and wipe your face with it.
- Repeat the application 3 to 4 times a day.
Tips and Precautions:
- While using pure aloe vera gel, it is important to choose the leaves carefully. The leaves present in the middle of the plant contain maximum amount of the gel-like substance.
- Before scraping out the aloe vera gel from inside the leaf, allow the sap to drain out completely.
- Although, it is safe to use aloe vera gel on skin, some people might be allergic to it and experience reactions such as rash, itching, redness or hives.
- It is always recommended to perform a small patch test before using it as a remedy.
- Use a gel-based or foaming cleanser to cleanse your face twice a day. Don’t overdo on the cleansing part, as it will trigger the sebaceous glands to produce more oil.
- Make sure to tone your skin with an alcohol-free toner after every cleansing routine to shrink the skin pores and regulate sebum production.
- Exfoliate your skin with a mild scrub once or twice every week to reduce dullness associated with oily skin.
- Apply a mud-based face mask using Fuller’s Earth or Bentonite Clay once in a week.
- Do not skip moisturizer. Use an oil-free, water-based moisturizer to moisturize your skin once in a day.
- Use lukewarm water for cleansing your face. Lukewarm water dissolves the oils more effectively compared to normal water.
- Drink plenty of water every day to keep your skin hydrated and healthy.
So, try out these remedies for oily skin using aloe vera and let us know which one worked best for you. Please share your tips and suggestions with us in the comments section below.
Aloe vera aids healing and prevents infection when applied to minor cuts and boils because of anti-bacterial and antiseptic action. You can use this aloe vera neem basil gel as a natural antiseptic.
Is patanjali aloe vera gel good white heads
Yes, patanjali aloe vera is effective in removing white heads. You can try any remedy mentioned in this article – http://wellness.guide/aloe-vera-for-acne/
can I use orange or lime juice in place of lemon juice?
Yes, you can.
which cleanser is useful for oily skin?
Does Pure aloe vera gel can be use as daily moisturizer
Can I use adclin soap instead of face wash after applying aloevera gel
Any side effect is create to aloevera our skin?
How to make and to use aloe Vera oil
Can I leave it overnight?
Is aloe vera gel good for open pores on face? My skin type is oily.
Is aloe vera gel shrink the open pores on face? my skin type is oily.
My skin is very oily n acnes why i remove parmanent