Kidneys are important organs in the body, they are responsible for many functions like flushing out the waste from the body. However, due to various reasons, the kidneys can become infected. This is more common in women.
If you are suffering from lower back pain in your body then it may be due to a kidney infection. But all back pains are not because of kidney pain. If you have one side sharp and severe pain in between the lower rib and the buttock then it is a kidney pain.
Before the pain takes the shape of a severe issue, you can treat it using natural remedies. Read through to learn the symptoms, useful tips and home remedies for kidney pain!
Some Symptoms Include:
- Pain while passing urine
- Blood in your urine
- Pain in lower back or lower abdomen
- Loss of appetite
- Foul smell in urine or cloudy urine
- Bedwetting (for children), etc.
Be sure to consult your doctor if you have any doubts.
Causes of Kidney Pain:
- Bleeding inside the kidneys
- Tumor in the kidneys
- Stones inside the kidneys
- Enlarged prostate
- Blood coagulation in the veins
- Horseshoe kidney
- Blocked or hindered flow of urine, etc.
Lifestyle And Home Remedies for Kidney Pain:
How to get rid of kidney pain at home? Here are some effective home remedies that are natural, safe and affordable, without any side effects.
You may want to try:
- Heat – A heating pad on your abdomen, back or side can help to relieve the symptoms of kidney pain
- Hydration – Staying hydrated can help ease kidney pain. Drink plenty of water, but do avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Pain Relief – The natural home remedies below can provide pain relief, ease and treat the cause of the kidney pain, while healing, and promoting healthy kidney function.
1. Lemon Juice:
Lemon contains acetic acid that helps to break up and dissolve kidney stones. It cleanses the kidney by removing the toxins and stones which causes the pain.
Method – 1:
- Lemon – 1
- Cut fresh lemon in half and squeeze out the juice.
- Add to a glass of water and stir.
- Drink this first thing in the morning on an empty stomach daily.
Method – 2:
- Lemon juice – 4 tablespoons
- Olive oil – 4 tablespoons
- Add lemon juice for kidney pain to olive oil and mix well.
- Drink this to get kidney pain relief.
- Note: Follow this kidney pain remedy if you have the capability to digest this amount of oil.
2. Parsley Tea:
Parsley is a well proven diuretic which increases the urine output, which helps to flush out the toxins from your system. It can be used to treat the pain by using internally and externally. It also has an anti-viral property that clears the bacteria causing infection in the body.
- Fresh parsley – 1 big bunch
- Water – 4 cups
- Wash and finely chop a bunch of parsley plant until you get 4 teaspoons.
- Boil water in a pan over medium heat.
- Take off the heat and add the chopped parsley.
- Cover and let it steep for about 20 minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink.
- You can take this tea either in hot or cold 4 times a week.
- Avoid taking this if you’re pregnant.
3. Watermelon Seed Tea:
Watermelon seed tea has a diuretic property that flushes the kidney and bladder. These seeds also stimulate the under activeness of the kidneys. It is one of the best home remedies for kidney pain.
- Watermelon seeds (either ground or cut) – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 2 cups
- Pour boiling water over the seeds.
- Steep it few minutes and allow it to cool.
- Strain the tea.
- Consume once a day for at least 3 days in a week.
4. Corn Silk Tea:
Corn silk tea soothes the painful urinary tract issues and eases you from pain by speeding up the healing process. Studies have proved that this silk has diuretic properties, and also inhibits the growth of certain bacteria. It is also one of the best home remedies for flank pain.
- Corn silk – 1 tablespoon
- Boiling / hot water – 2 cups
- Pot or pan
- Add boiling water to dried corn silk.
- You can easily find this in any herbal stores.
- Allow to steep for about 5 – 10 minutes then strain.
- Daily intake of this tea for 2 – 4 cups throughout the day will yield best results.
5. Celery Seeds Tea:
Celery or Apium Graveolens speed up the process of eliminating the waste material from the kidneys. Research has concluded that celery increases the urine output and this further relieves the pain in the kidneys. It contains volatile oil that has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that fight against the bacteria and other organisms causing infections or any other problems.
- Celery seeds – 1 tablespoons
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Take celery seeds and ground it
- Place these ground celery seeds in a cup and pour hot water over them.
- Stir it well and let it cool.
- Strain the tea.
- Drinking this once a day for at least 3 days a week will definitely cure the kidney pain.
- Remember that this celery is a uterine stimulant so pregnant women should not drink this.
6. Dandelion Tea:
Dandelion is an herb that has a diuretic property that helps to increase the urine output. This tea stimulates the blood circulation in the body especially in the kidneys for proper functioning.
- Dried dandelion leaves – 1 to 3 teaspoons
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Pour hot water over dandelion leaves herb.
- Allow it to steep for about 10 – 15 minutes then strain the tea.
- Regular intake of this dandelion tea, 2 – 3 cups throughout the day will cure the kidney pain.
7. Marshmallow Root:
Marshmallow root is a medicinal herb that helps to relieve the kidney pain and also passes the stones out of the kidneys. It is a diuretic that helps to increase the urine output and cures the pain or burning sensation. The root has mucilage’s that soothes and protects the inflamed and irritated tissues of the body.
Method – 1: (Marshmallow Root Infusion)
This tea made with cold infusion, which is good for extracting the pure form of mucilage from this root.
- Marshmallow root – 4 tablespoons
- Water – less than a liter
- Mason jar
- Place marshmallow root in 1 liter jar.
- Fill the jar with water and cover, allow it to soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- Strain the water to extract the liquid.
- Add any natural sweeteners like honey or stevia powder and stir well.
- Drink this liquid throughout the day.
Method – 2: (Marshmallow Root Tea)
This process is especially useful whenever you don’t have much time and want quick relief from the pain.
- Marshmallow root – 1 tablespoon
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Honey or stevia – as per your taste
- Add marshmallow root to a pot and pour hot water over it.
- Allow it to steep for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add the sweeteners like honey or stevia.
- Drink this tea 2 – 4 cups throughout the day.
Plantain is a healing herb that helps to get rid of kidney disorders, worms, hemorrhoids, etc. It also has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammation properties which help to prevent the infections in kidneys, relieve the pain, burning sensation and itching. It has mild diuretic and laxative properties whicht are very useful to cure the kidney and urinary bladder problems.
- Dry or fresh whole plantain – 1 tablespoon
- Boiling water – 1 cup
- Honey or Stevia
- Tea pot
- Tea strainer
- Take dry or fresh whole plantain in the form of seed or root or leaves and place this in a tea pot
- Pour a cup of hot/boiling water over it and cover.
- Allow to steep for about 8 – 10 minutes and strain the tea.
- Add a sweetener and mix well.
- Regularly have a cup of plantain tea for about 4 – 5 times a day.
9. Cabbage Leaves Poultice:
Cabbage has many healing properties that help to reduce the kidney pain caused by kidney diseases and bladder problems.
- Cabbage leaves – 2 to 5 leaves
- Bran – 3 to 4 handfuls
- Chopped onions – 2 onions
- Pot or pan
- Place cabbage leaves, bran, chopped onions and water in a pan.
- Boil for about 20 minutes so that the water will evaporate completely.
- Then place hot gauze with poultice on the particular area where you have pain.
- Keep this on that place for at least 2 – 3 hours, overnight if possible.
- Reapply this poultice until you get complete relief from the kidney pain.
10. Sage and Peppermint Tea:
Sage contains some volatile oils that have various therapeutic properties like anti-septic, astringent and other relaxing effects that help to clear harmful toxins and other impurities from the kidney. When this is mixed with peppermint, it gives quick relief from the spasms and pains.
- Sage – 1 tablespoon
- Peppermint leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Boiled water – 2 cups
- Pan or container
- Pour hot water over sage herb and peppermint leaves and cover.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes before straining.
- Drink this tea 2 – 3 times a day for 3 months.
Basil is diuretic and detoxifier that helps to remove the stones from the kidney and also strengthens them. It’s pain killing property reduces the kidney pain and uric acid levels in the blood.
- Basil juice
- Mix equal quantities of basil juice and honey.
- Stir well and consume.
- Regular intake of this for 4 months will help to cure the pain in kidneys by clearing the stones.
12. Uva Ursi:
Uva ursi (or bearberry) is a traditional herb of Native America and widely used to treat kidney and bladder infections. It also acts as diuretic. It kills the infection that is caused by E.coli, bacteria in the intestines and causes bladder and kidney infections. But make sure to consult your herbalist before using this herb.
Ingredients: (Uva Ursi Tea)
- Uva ursi leave – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 2 cups
- Simmer a mixture of uva ursi leaves and water for about 30 – 40 minutes or until the water reduces by half.
- Turn off the heat and strain.
- Drink half a cup of tea twice a day.
- Note: Pregnant women and nursing women should avoid drinking this tea.
13. Mustard Plaster:
Mustard seed powder helps to heal the kidney irritation. Placing pure mustard plaster on skin for long time causes burning sensation or blisters. To avoid this mix mustard powder with other flour or wrap in a cloth. Sometimes egg white is also used in the place of water to prevent the formations of blisters.
- Mustard powder – 1 part
- Whole wheat flour – 4 parts
- Water or egg white
- Lard or Vaseline
- Add mustard powder to wheat flour and then pour water or egg white (preferred) over it.
- Mix to make a thin paste.
- Stir it well, make sure that it is not too thin and there is enough to spread over the body.
- Now apply Vaseline or lard over the area where you are feeling the irritation.
- Then apply the prepared mustard plaster over that.
- Let it sit for not more than 30 minutes and remove this either by wiping it off or washing it.
- If you feel more irritation wipe it as soon as possible.
- Don’t apply on those below 6 years of age.
14. Willow Bark:
Willow bark has been used in China and Europe for many centuries to treat the kidney pain. It has anti-inflammatory, an anti-oxidant, antiseptic properties helps to give relief from the pain. It has other immune boosting properties which help for better functioning of the kidneys.
- Dried herb – 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Water – 8 oz
- Tincture or liquid
- Place dried bark herb in water and simmer it for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Steep it for about 30 – 45 minutes, then strain.
- Drink 3 – 4 cups of this tea a day.
- Or you can take powdered bark that available in capsules or liquid of standard dosage of 60 – 240 mg.
- Or you can take tincture of 4 – 6 ml, 3 times per day.
- Make sure that you are not allergic to it.
15. Nettle Tea:
Nettle is an effective diuretic that increases the urine output and prevents the stones in kidneys. It also treats kidney inflammations and relieves joint pains caused by high levels of uric acid in the blood.
Ingredients: (Nettle Leaf Tea)
- Dried nettle leaves – 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Place dried nettle leaves in hot or boiled water.
- Cover it and allow it to steep for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Then strain the tea.
- Drink this three times a day for best results.
Tomato juice has many effective properties that help to cure kidney pain and clear stones or any infections in the kidneys.
Method – 1: (Tomato Juice)
- Extract tomato juice using blender.
- Drink this tomato juice before you consume any food.
- Then drink a glass of water immediately to clear the infection.
- Repeat this process regularly.
Method – 2: (Tomato Plaster)
- Thick cotton cloth
- Finely chop tomatoes and place on a thick cotton cloth.
- Wrap them in the cloth.
- Lie down and place on the back until the pain has reduced.
- Reapply as needed.
Drinking a lot of water helps to relieve from kidney. It helps to keep you hydrated and flushes out the kidney stones and other impurities that are present in the urethra. It helps to dilute the urine and prevents the minerals and salts from clustering and forming into kidney stones.
- When you feel the pain coming on, drink 1 to 2 liters of water.
- Have water therapy which is specifically used to cure the kidney pain.
- Make sure to consult your doctor before taking this water therapy as it can lead to other kidney issues.
18. Pomegranate and Watermelon:
Pomegranate has astringent property that helps to treat kidney stones. It also cures the inflammation or pain in the kidney. Consume one glass of juice or eat a pomegranate daily to keep the kidney problems at bay.
Watermelon is rich in potassium that helps to remove the stones which is composed of the phosphates and carbonates. It increases urine output, its frequency and regulates the acidic levels in urine. Eat watermelon to flush out the waste from the body.
Here are the tips which will help to get effective results.
- Magnesium salt packs help to cure the kidney pain. Dip a cloth in concentrated warm Epsom salt solution and then place this cloth over the kidneys. Keep it warm for at least an hour or two by placing a hot water bottle on it.
- Pour warm castor oil on a woolen cloth and place this over the kidneys and keep it warm. Reapply this pack whenever you needed.
- Have probiotics which is a friendly bacteria that exists in your intestine. Many studies has shown that these micro-organisms which are linked to overall and digestive health and also gives many other benefits like it assists the kidneys in processing the waste materials and reduces the formation of the kidney stones.
- Eating less meat, like less than 65 grams of animal protein a day will prevent the kidney stones formation.
- Quit smoking and stop drinking alcohol.
- Avoid the intake of phosphorus and have a nutritious whole food diet. Avoid fast foods, carbonated soft drinks, prepared and processed foods which is high in phosphorus. Limit the phosphorus intake from 800 mg to 1200 mg per day.
- Drink juices that are made of cilantro or parsley and add water, lemon juice and organic honey to it to enhance the taste.
- Include fresh fruits like watermelon, apples, berries (cranberries, strawberries and blueberries) and vegetables like peppers, garlic, onions, cabbage, cauliflower, olive oil in your diet.
- Don’t stop yourself from passing the urine.
- Make sure to urinate in clean and hygienic places to prevent any infection.
- Include more fiber foods in your diet and avoid foods which create oxalates in the kidneys like tea, beets, nuts, chocolates, spinach, etc.
- Stop taking contraceptive pills and using condoms and diaphragms if you’re more susceptible to kidney infections.
- Whole wheat bread is rich in nutrients like proteins, fibers, magnesium, etc. It prevents the formation of oxalates or stones in kidneys. You can also have whole grain cereals, pastas, etc.
- Have some regular physical exercise.
- Include kidney beans in your diet to treat any kidney infections, stones or pain.
Consult your doctor or Nephrologist, if the pain persists for a long time. If it is untreated, it can lead to other serious kidney problems.
We hope you’ll try these remedies and tips to treat your problem. Please share your experience with us.