Our bodies release toxins through the skin, and when sweat, dirt, and oil clog pores and hair follicles, those toxins build up beneath the skin’s surface, causing bacterial infections that result in hard, painful boils on the face, neck, scalp, shoulders, thighs, and buttocks. Friction, poor hygiene, poor diet, pollution, acne, eczema, blood disorders, and diabetes can lead to boils, and they are usually treated with antibiotics.
One of the best ways to supplement and enhance the effectiveness of antibiotic treatments is with apple cider vinegar. This simple, affordable home remedy, can accelerate the healing process and prevent future boils. We’re about to tell you exactly how to use it, but first, take a look at why apple cider vinegar is so effective.
- Apple cider vinegar disinfects to kill the bacteria that cause boils.
- It reduces pain and inflammation with its anti-inflammatory property.
- It balances the skin’s pH levels to prevent oiliness, dryness, and infection.
- The acetic and malic acids in apple cider vinegar break down the boil’s protective layers and penetrate to the root of the infection.
- It has antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that fight against the bacteria and clears problem from the roots.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Boils
Apple cider vinegar can be used alone and in combination with other natural ingredients that kill bacteria, prevent infection, and keep skin healthy. Try all the methods to treat boils below until you find the one that works best for you.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
You can use apple cider vinegar either internally or topically. This process is used to cure boils on face, neck, shoulders, scalp, thighs and buttocks along with acne cysts and carbuncles.
Process 1: Topical Application
Apple cider vinegar can be applied directly on boils. But if you have sensitive skin, then you have to dilute the cider vinegar and apply it.
- Pour some apple cider vinegar on a cotton ball.
- Dab the ball over boils and leave for few minutes.
- Or you can wash boils with cider vinegar to cleanse the boils and drains out the pus for quick relief.
- Repeat the same for 2 – 3 times daily.
Process – 2: Internal Consumption
Apple cider vinegar helps kill bacteria and other toxins that live within the body. Here we are going to drink apple cider vinegar to treat boils.
- Stir 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into 1 glass of water.
- Drink this mix for 1 – 2 times daily until you got relief.
- Note: you can also add a teaspoonof honey (prefer manuka honey).
Process 3: Apple Cider Vinegar Compress
- Cleanse the boils with rubbing alcohol and let dry.
- Soak a cotton pad in apple cider vinegar.
- Apply it to boils and wrap tightly with bandage.
- Then heat or microwave any compress for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Now place a compress or heating pad over the bandage and leave it on 1 hour.
- Remove compress, bandage, and cotton pad.
- Rinse with water and pat dry.
- Repeat 2 – 3 times weekly.
Process 4: Warm Apple Cider Vinegar
- Warm apple cider vinegar on low heat.
- Soak a clean cloth and wring out excess vinegar.
- Apply this damp cloth over infected areas and let it leave for few minutes.
- Repeat twice a day for few days.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar with Milk Cream and Turmeric
Turmeric has antibiotic property that kills bacteria while milk soothes and nourishes the skin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of apple cider vinegar, turmeric, and milk cream to make a paste.
- Apply on boils and leave on until dry.
- Rinse with water and pat dry.
- Repeat 3 – 4 times a day.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar with Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is very effective to treat boils on scalp (Scalp folliculitis). Do a patch test before using.
- Soak cotton ball in apple cider vinegar, wring out excess and dip in Epsom salt.
- Place cotton ball on boil and cover with bandage
- Leave on for few hours to overnight.
- Repeat nightly. Be sure to remove the ball, if it irritates too much on skin.
- Epsom salt can be replaced by sea salt.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar Bath
This method treats boils in hard to reach places.
- Fill bathtub with warm water and pour 1 cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Stir well and Get in and soak for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Do this at least 3 nights a week.
- Or simply wash the boils with that cider vinegar mixed water.
- Repeat 2 times a day e. once in morning and once at night time.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar with French Green Clay
- Mix some apple cider vinegar into French green clay to form thick paste.
- Clean boils with rubbing alcohol and apply clay mix over infected areas.
- Leave on 1 hour or overnight.
- Rinse with warm water followed by cool water, then pat dry.
- Repeat nightly.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar with Baking Soda
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Apply on the boils affected skin areas with the help of cotton ball.
- Leave on for few minutes.
- Rinse off with water and pat dry.
- Repeat twice a day to heal boils quickly.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar with Honey
This remedy is effective to treat boils on inner thighs. Honey fights with bacteria, moisturizes skin, and heals wounds.
- Mix equal quantities of raw apple cider vinegar and organic honey.
- Apply on the affected areas.
- Leave on for 20 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat 2 times a day.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar with Lemon Juice and Turmeric
This combination used to treat boils on inner thighs. Lemon juice is antibacterial, and it contains vitamin C, which strengthens the immune system so it can fight off bacteria from within.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, ground turmeric, and heavy cream to make fine paste.
- Soak cotton pads in this mixture and wring out excess.
- Place over boils and rub gently on the infected thigh areas for 3 minutes.
- Let it sit for 20 – 30 minutes or till it dried completely.
- Rinse with cool water and pat dry.
- Apply light moisturizer.
- Be sure to store the remaining mix in a dark colored container with tight lid and place it in refrigerator.
- Repeat daily to reduce the size of boils.
- If you experience irritation or redness, stop using this remedy.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar for MRSA and Boils
Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA)is a specific staph bacteria which is resistant to several antibiotics. MRSA infection usually affects the skin and causes pimples and boils.
Process – 1: Apple Cider Vinegar with Olive Oil
Olive oil moisturizes, nourishes, and helps heal damaged skin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of olive oil with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Apply the mixture on boils infected area with cotton ball.
- Leave on for minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Or you can use this mix to cleanse the boils for removing impetigo scabs.
- Repeat daily.
Process – 2: Apple Cider Vinegar with Turnip
Turnips contain vitamin C, which strengthens the immune system to fight off bacteria, and it contains vitamin E, which helps heal damaged skin.
- Slice turnips and soak them in apple cider vinegar overnight.
- Then consume those slices throughout the day.
- Or use parsnip instead of turnip for the same process.
- Consuming regularly will help to clear the bacterial infection.
Process – 3: Apple Cider Vinegar with Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil reduces inflammation, itching, and burning sensations caused due to MRSA and boils.
- Mix 5 drops of tea tree oil, 1 teaspoon of water, 1 tablespoon each of tea tree conditioner and apple cider vinegar.
- Use a cotton ball to apply mixture.
- Let dry and leave on for few minutes.
- Rinse with water and pat dry.
- Or you can wash the boils with this mixture throughout the day to clear the infection.
- Repeat twice a day for a week.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar for Carbuncles
Carbuncle is a cluster of boils which can spread from one person to another through skin contact. Teenagers and adults are more prone to these carbuncles. Apple cider vinegar is best home remedy for curing carbuncles.
Process 1: Apple Cider Vinegar with Warm Milk
This method kills bacteria internally to prevent boils from forming in the future.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of warm milk.
- Drink this cider vinegar infused milk for 3 times a day to get rid of carbuncles
Process 2: Apple Cider Vinegar with Baking Soda
Baking soda detoxifies and balances body pH to prevent dryness and oiliness.
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of baking soda into a glass of water and drink it.
- Mix it well by adding a pinch of salt in it.
- Drink this mix 3 – 4 times daily.
Tips and Precautions:
For best results, follow the advice below when using apple cider vinegar to treat boils.
- Wash your hands with anti-bacterial soap and warm water regularly to prevent the spread of the bacteria that cause boils.
- Properly treat all cuts and wounds to avoid infection.
- To prevent damage to tooth enamel, drink apple cider vinegar through a straw.
- Before starting these remedies, do a patch test to see if you’re allergic to apple cider vinegar.
- If these methods don’t help, consult a doctor.
- Try detoxification processes to clear the toxins from the body and thereby to prevent boils.
Apart from following these methods regularly, you have to follow healthy diet, hygienic skin care, stress less life and few lifestyle changes to prevent boils and its recurrence in future.
Have you tried using apple cider vinegar to treat boils? Which methods worked best for you? Share your experience with us!
Image Source – Rajya Laxmi @Flickr