Warts are common begin (non-cancerous) growths caused by Human Papillomavirus (HPV). They can occur on any part of the body but few common areas are – hands, feet, knuckles, and elbows. (1)
The virus invades through cuts, bruises and abrasions or from person to another. Children, especially teenagers are more susceptible of developing warts. Adults who have weak immune system are also more prone of developing them.
Though being harmless, these pesky warts can be painful, embarrassing, and irritating. If left untreated they can spread to other parts of the body as well. There are many methods to remove warts like cryosurgery, freezing, anti-wart creams and others.
But the chemicals present in them can be harmful and even lead to pigmentation. Don’t worry, we have a good news too – for wart removal you can always resort on versatile elixir “Apple Cider Vinegar”.[toc]
Can Apple Cider Vinegar Remove Warts?
- Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid and malic acid which possess antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties which help to combat the HPV causing warts. (2)
- The malic and acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar numbs the area, softens the skin and peels off the warts from the roots. (3)
- It contains anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties which help to soothe the skin, reduce inflammation and prevent scarring on the skin.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Warts?
We have listed plenty of ways in using apple cider vinegar as a home remedy for removing warts. You can choose any one among them and try it regularly to achieve the results.
Quick Note: Remember that materials you use to remove warts should be used for only this process. Avoid using them in a different place, the virus may reappear on the skin. Once the wart is completely removed, dispose the materials used.
For Added Effectiveness: Before starting any treatment make sure to file the wart using a pumice stone but make sure to avoid damaging the healthy skin around. Rinse the are thoroughly with water.
1. Apple cider vinegar
This process works best for removing warts on fingers, legs, neck, arms and other parts of the body expect eyelids.
- Clean the affected area with water.
- Apply petroleum jelly around the healthy skin surrounding the wart to prevent the healthy skin from the effect of concentrated ACV.
- Dip cotton ball in pure apple cider vinegar and place on wart.
- You may use more cotton balls on various parts where ever you have warts.
- Use a band-aid to keep the cotton ball on wart.
- Leave it overnight to work on wart.
- Follow the process every day before going to bed until the warts are completely removed.
2. Apple cider vinegar and Baking Soda
The natural exfoliating properties of baking soda break down the skin cells cluster that forms a wart. The astringent property of baking soda absorbs the moisture from the wart making it too dry. This enables warts to detach quickly without pain. It also contains antibacterial properties which combats the virus from spreading. (4)
- Apply petroleum jelly on the healthy skin surrounding the wart.
- Make a paste of ACV and baking soda.
- Apply the paste on warts and leave it on overnight.
- You may also use a cotton ball and band-aid to secure the application.
- Leave the paste to dry and wash the wart with clean water.
- Follow the process every day to get rid of warts.
3. Apple cider vinegar and Vitamin C Capsule
The high acidic property of vitamin C capsule helps fight wart virus, soften the rough skin and peel of wart easily. This process is effective for removing warts on feet, mole warts, skin tags, cluster warts, and facial flat warts.
- Mix the contents of vitamin c capsule with ACV to make a thick paste.
- Apply the vitamin C rich paste on warts.
- Cover with a band-aid and leave it on overnight.
- In the morning, remove the band-aid and rinse the area with water.
- Repeat the process daily until the wart is removed.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar and Potatoes
Though there is no scientific evidence that provides potatoes effectiveness in removing warts, over many centuries it has been a successful method.
- Mix equal quantities of freshly extracted potato juice and ACV.
- Apply the mixture on wart several times in a day.
- You can also apply the mixture during night and wash off the next morning.
- Follow the process everyday till warts peel off naturally.
Note: ACV can cause pigmentation but potato juice in the mixture helps to remove wart and also lighten the skin.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar and Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel contains anthraquinone substances which contain antibacterial and antiviral properties that help to combat HPV virus. This process is effective in removing genital warts, skin tags, warts on knuckles, mouth warts and mosaic warts.
- Slice a fresh aloe vera leaf to extract the aloe gel.
- Add few drops of ACV into the gel and mix well.
- Apply the mixture on warts and leave it to dry completely.
- Repeat the process 2 to 3 times a day.
- The mixture can be applied on warts and left overnight as well.
Note: For effective results and faster healing, along with topical application, consume 1 teaspoon of aloe vera juice daily by adding it into a glass of water.
6. Apple cider vinegar and lemon peel
Lemon peel is rich in vitamin C which has antiviral and antiseptic properties. It combats the human papilloma virus developing the warts. The high levels of citric acid and natural astringent properties dry out the wart which enables it come off without any pain. (5)
- Make slight incisions on the outer side of lemon peel.
- Dip the peel in ACV and place the lemon peel on wart. Make sure the outer side of the peel faces the wart.
- Wrap a band-aid to keep the lemon peel in place.
- Leave it overnight to allow ACV and essential nutrients of lemon peel work on the wart.
- Continue the process everyday till the wart peels of naturally.
7. Apple cider vinegar and Garlic
Allicin present in garlic possess strong antibacterial and antiviral properties which help to combat the human papilloma virus. (6) Being caustic in nature, it will enable the wart to fall off without any pain or discomfort. This combination works effectively for warts in mouth, common warts, flat warts, filiform warts, and hand warts.
- Mince 1 – 2 garlic cloves into a paste.
- Add few drops of apple cider vinegar into it and mix well.
- Apply the mixture on wart and cover with a bandage.
- Leave the mixture overnight on wart and wash it off the next morning.
- Apply the mixture daily until the wart is removed.
8. Apple cider vinegar and Castor oil
The ricinoleic acid present in castor oil contains antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties which destroy the virus. It contains astringent properties which cleanse the warts and surrounding skin to remove impurities.
- Clean wart with water and mild soap.
- Apply apple cider vinegar on it using cotton ball.
- Leave the application to dry completely.
- Now apply castor oil on wart and message gently for few minutes.
- Follow the process every day to get rid of warts.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Remove Warts During Pregnancy?
If you are having warts on any part of the body apart from genital and eyelids, then you can safely try any method mentioned above in the article. However make sure to patch test before trying the treatment just to avoid the discomforts like burning sensation. If direct application is causing unbearable burning sensation then dilute ACV with some water.
If you want to treat genital warts during pregnancy we recommend to avoid trying home remedies, self-treatment or over the counter medication and consult a gynecologist. The doctor would be the best person to give the right and safe advice.
How to Treat Genital Warts with Apple Cider Vinegar?
Below is a safe method to treat genital warts…
- Tear a small piece of toilet paper, fold the paper to the size of the wart.
- Dip it in apple cider vinegar.
- Place it on the wart and secure it with a bandage.
- Leave it on for 4 – 6 hours.
- Now, remove the paper and repeat the process again.
- You have to repeat the process until the wart is removed.
Alternative Method: You can directly apply apple cider vinegar on the wart using a Q-tip. Make sure you don’t apply to the healthy skin around it. Leave the application to dry completely. Repeat the application few times in a day until the wart is removed.
How to Treat Warts on Eyelids with Apple Cider Vinegar?
The skin on the eyelids or under the eyes is usually very sensitive. Applying apple cider vinegar can be too harsh on the sensitive skin. In some cases, it can also lead to minor burns and pigmentation. Instead of apple cider vinegar you can try castor oil methods.
What to Expect During the Treatment?
ACV application doesn’t do magic in a day that will make the wart disappear completely. It usually take a certain period of time. However you should be seeing improvement in few days. Here’s how you can know whether the ACV treatment is working in removing the wart. We have mentioned them in stages…
Stage 1: Due to the presence of apple cider vinegar and its acidic nature, the wart swells up or feel irritated. If the irritation or swelling is too high then dilute apple cider vinegar with water for the treatment from now on.
Stage 2: The wart start changing its color and gradually turns up into black. This states that the process is working fine.
Stage 3: The warts starts to flake and one day it will come off completely. Now it is important to stop the treatment. However, try to include immune boosting foods in your diet to prevent recurrences.
How Much Time Does it Take to Remove the Wart?
It is difficult to mention the exact time frame as it depends on the severity level, immune system functioning and others. So, we recommend taking immune boosting foods along with the ACV treatment to boost up the effectiveness. Few immune boosting foods include garlic, citrus fruits, ginger, spinach, almonds, red bell peppers, broccoli, sunflower seeds, poultry and others.
Tips and Precautions
- Make sure to use pure apple cider vinegar to treat warts.
- Since warts are generally hard, applying concentrated ACV helps to soften and remove wart. But if you feel unbearable burning or irritation, feel free to diluted ACV with little water before using it.
- Make sure to protect the healthy skin around wart by applying petroleum jelly. This will protect the healthy skin from the acidic effect of ACV.
- Do not peel the wart as it would remove only a portion of it. Instead follow the above remedies and allow the wart to gradually peel off from its roots.
- Remember to avoid the application of ACV on any open wounds, bruised skin, and open wounds.
- If the warts are spread over the large areas then speak with podiatrist or dermatologist.
- Make sure to wear sandals while walking in public spaces like swimming pools, clubs or other areas.
Did the article provide information you are looking out for? Do you have any other remedies that work better? Feel free to share your experience or queries in the comments section below. We are happy to answer your questions.
This remedy works best,I tried it and the warts are completely gone.I am even advicing my clients to opt for it.its so wow
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Apple Cider Vinegar and baking soda are the best method to remove the skin tags. I tried both methods to remove Warts on my chest. These methods works and give useful results.
I’m currently working on my warts on my Chin.
ACV is working pretty well I’m on day 6 and hopefully it’s gone sooner, rather than later