Canker sore, mouth ulcers or aphthous ulcers occurs inside the mouth on the lips, cheek, tongue and throat. They appears in yellow or white with a red border. Although they are not contagious, they can cause you a lot of stress and pain. Some possible causes are poor diet, stress, food allergies, low immune system, etc. with symptoms of a burning or tingling sensation, fever and swollen lymph glands.
Baking soda for canker sores:
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is a white crystalline compound that can be used for treating many health and beauty problems, including canker sores. It acts as an antacid, alkalizing agent, cavities washer and exfoliator.
Below are baking soda’s properties which explain why it is good at healing the sores.
- Baking soda neutralizes the acid or acidity in mouth and soothes the pain caused by cancer sore.
- It balances the pH levels of the mouth and body.
- It effectively lessens the ability of bacteria to get into the salivary glands.
- It has anti – inflammatory property that helps to reduce the swelling and inflammation.
- It has anti – bacterial and anti – fungal, anti-septic properties that helps to kill the bacteria, shield ulcers from infection, freshen the breath and keeps all infection away from the mouth.
- The baking soda paste acts as a protective layer.
How To Use Baking Soda To Treat Cancer Sores:
1. Baking Soda with Water
This process is widely used to treat canker sores on the lips, gums, tongue, throat, etc. to get quick relief from the pain and adds a protective layer on the mouth.
- Mix 1 tablespoon water and 1 teaspoon baking soda to make a fine paste.
- Apply this on the affected areas of the mouth either with a cotton ball or your fingers.
- Leave for few minutes to get dry.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water and gargle to clear the bacteria and the acid that causes canker sores.
- Repeat the same process once daily.
2. Baking Soda
This process may cause some irritation, so test it first before continuing.
- Apply a sufficient amount of baking soda directly on the sore either with cotton swab or your finger.
- Leave for a few hours.
- This process helps to neutralize the acid reaction and eases the pain.
- Wash your mouth with lukewarm water to remove the bacteria.
- Apply this regularly.
3. Baking Soda with Hydrogen Peroxide and Salt
Hydrogen peroxide has anti – bacterial and anti – septic properties that help to kill the bacteria and reduces the inflammation. Salt prevents the bacterial infection and draws out the fluids from the sore to heal faster.
- Combine small amounts of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide (3%) and salt.
- Rinse the mouth with this solution 4 – 5 times a day.
4. Baking Soda with Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that help to ease the pain, speed up the healing and cures the canker sores effectively.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with aloe vera juice.
- Take small quantity of baking soda and place this on the sore directly with either cotton ball or fingers.
- Leave it like that for few minutes and then again rinse off with water.
- Follow the same process until the problem is gone.
5. Baking Soda Mouth Wash
Rinsing your mouth will help you to cure the canker sores by eliminating the bacteria and soothing the pain.
- Mix ½ cup of warm water with 1 teaspoon of baking soda until the baking soda has dissolved completely.
- Use this to rinse your mouth and gargle.
- Make sure that not to swallow this mixture.
- Do this once a day.
6. Baking Soda with Salt
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 3/4 to 1 cup
- Mix equal quantities of baking soda and salt.
- Add sufficient amount of water and stir well.
- Apply this mixture on the canker sores.
- Leave for a few minutes and rinse it off with the remaining water.
- Or you can simply use this as a mouth wash.
- Continue doing this process for at least 3 – 4 days.
7. Baking Soda with Salt Water and Liquid Benadryl
- Baking soda – 2 teaspoons
- Warm water – 1 cup
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Liquid Benadryl
- Add baking soda and salt to warm water.
- Stir it well and add liquid Benadryl.
- Swish this around your mouth for a few minutes.
- Spit out the mixture, do not swallow.
- Regularly follow up this process.
8. Baking Soda with Peppermint Oil and Water
- Baking soda – 1/4 teaspoon
- Peppermint essential oil – 2 to 3 drops
- Water – 2 ounces
- Mix water, baking soda and peppermint essential oil together.
- Use this as a mouthwash.
- Use this regularly.
Tips and Precautions To Be Followed While Using Baking Soda:
Even though baking soda is good for curing canker sores, follow the below mentioned tips and precautions for minimal side effects.
- Baking soda might sting a bit, so be careful while applying.
- Regularly use baking soda mouth wash particularly after each meal and before bedtime.
- You can also use baking soda as a toothpowder to brush your teeth.
- Baking soda has high levels of sodium, so its better to limit the quantity you use. You should rinse out your mouth thoroughly with water after using.
- People who are suffering with blood pressure problems, on a diet control or who have to restricted their sodium intake should avoid using these remedies or consult their doctor.
- Never delay to make an appointment with your doctor or dentist if anything goes wrong.
- Use arm and hammer dental care baking soda tooth powder which is SLS free.
All these baking soda remedies are natural and effective but you have to try these methods regularly.
Do you know any other baking soda methods or natural home remedies for canker sores? Feel free to share your experience with us.
For your gums can l use baking soda and brush it on thank you
Yes, you can brush your gums using baking soda.
can baking powder be used instead
No, you should not use baking powder instead of baking soda in the above mentioned methods. Baking powder and baking soda are different in nature.
How long does it take to heal?
It is difficult to tell the exact time as everyone’s condition is different. So, try the remedy regularly until you see the results. However, you may observe improvement in few days.
So I had a canker sore of the past 4 days and it hurts like hell. I tried leaving it alone so that it can heal by itself but i can’t handle the pain and the discomfort especially when I’m trying to eat.. I tried washing out my mouth with listerine, that didn’t seem to help so i tried hydrogen peroxide. Sadly that really didn’t seem to do much either. So then i decided to try baking soda. So i placed the baking soda directly on the sore and it burned like hell. Seriously my heart started racing, my head started to hurt and I felt so dizzy because the pain was excruciating. Its like throwing salt in a wound. Man, I felt this pain in my toes. Moreover the sore started bleeding. But what i have noticed is that the white cast over of the sore has somewhat disappeared. This is literally happened within 5 minutes of applying the baking soda. My question is it natural for the canker sore to bleed after you apply baking soda to it? So i be alarmed?
It might have caused to excess amounts of baking soda application. As it is bleeding we recommend avoiding further application of baking soda and consult a doctor.
Can I use cotton swabs for night cause i got expanders and they rub against it so can I
Yes, you can.
Can a solution of water and baking soda be used to drink for kidney problems?
Yes, baking soda solution can be used to dissolve existing kidney stones. Being alkaline in nature, it reduces the high acidic environment in the kidneys. So, it is also helpful in preventing the formation of kidney stones.
THANK YOU!!! I get so many canker Sores and this works so well. I just used it and it stung ALOT at first but I waited 5:00, washed it off and it instantly feels better! (I used the paste option)
Thanks for sharing your experience.
I have to say how grateful I am for tip #1 – making a paste with some Baking Soda and water. I suffered terribly for a good 5 days with an ulcer underneath my tongue. It was sooo uncomfortable, making it difficult and extremely painful to talk, eat, etc. I tried various recommended home remedies including tea tree oil, honey, but nothing seemed to work in terms of starting the healing process. As a last resort, I tried the baking soda paste. Heads up – I nearly passed out from the pain/sting when I applied it! Tears sprung to my eyes and the thought “just shoot me instead” flashed across my mind. BUT…… maybe 30 – 45 seconds in, the initial discomfort eased a bit – enough for me to hold the paste in my mouth for a few minutes as recommended, and even try a second application. Can I say that by the time I rinsed out my mouth after keeping the paste on for as many minutes as I could bear, I felt an IMMEDIATE difference. I literally could not believe the difference in just a few minutes. I went to bed after that and woke up the next morning feeling much much better. The discomfort of the ulcer was not completely gone, but I could eat comfortably, and I was no longer speaking like a drunken sailor. I did the application again for good measure – and yes ,again the staggering burning/stinging, but I gritted my teeth – literally and figuratively, bore it for 3 or 4 minutes (by which time the paste starts to dissolve anyway), and I’ve been home free ever since! Within hours I was much much better, and by the following day, I pretty much forgot that I had had an ulcer that tormented me for days before discovering this treatment. I would not recommend putting the baking soda directly on the sore without diluting it as based on my experience with the paste, I personally feel it would be way too strong, but a definite thumbs up for the paste.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
The advice given here is great, thank you. I am a fan of baking soda for many other remedies, just never tried it for my son who seems to suffer with frequent canker sores.
The comments are extremely helpful. Thank you all for sharing.
Ok so I just tried the paste and omg I wanted to cry it’s still stinging right now but hopefully it starts feeling a little better soon ?
I have a canker sore 10 mm x 15 mm.
I put on the baking a can only say hat the pain was incredible.
I tried the baking soda *paste* and after a few minutes i feel like i can smile and eat again in a comfortable way.
When i tried it my first impression is
*Im crying and i realize that this is the way that can help me*
I applied the baking soda directly on the canker sore and it caused it to swell. Is that normal? Why would it cause it to swell?
I tried the past option and it worked absolutely Amazing! I cured my mouth sore in just a couple days.I highly recommend these remedies.