Are you embarrassed to wear sleeveless tops? Do your dark armpits make you self-conscious? Are you worried the products and grooming habits you keep are making this problem worse?
If you’re here you must have heard about the clarifying and lightening properties of baking soda. Here’s some good news…
It’s true you can use baking soda for underarm whitening.
Here you’ll learn how to whiten underarms using baking soda by making it into…
- homemade natural deodorants,
- exfoliating pastes,
- face masks,
Baking Soda is one of many underarm lightening methods that help to get rid of this problem. Don’t fall prey to commercial lightening lotions or gels —the chemicals present in those can do more harm than good.
You can always rely on home remedies which are safe and, best of all, effective in removing dark underarms for good.
Is Baking Soda Effective For Dark Underarms?
Baking soda is one of the most versatile products commonly found in our homes. It is a mixture of sodium and pH neutralizer. Here are few properties of baking soda that help to reduce dark discoloration under arms.
- It exfoliates dead skin, removes damaged skin cells and promotes production of new cells.
- Its natural skin lightening properties reduce the production of melamine (the cause of skin discoloration), providing a lighter and shinier finish.
- It has an amazing characteristic of absorbing oil and unclogging the pores.
- It acts as natural deodorant and helps to prevent bad odor.
- The pH present in it neutralizes the alkaline nature of the skin.
Simple remedies with baking soda for underarms can reduce dark discoloration without costing you a fortune, and you can use it for so much more.
But what about using it for dark underarms? Well…
How to Use Baking Soda to Whiten Underarms
Listed are few home remedies using baking soda that help you in achieving whiter, softer and shinier underarms in no time.
1. Baking Soda with Water
This combination not only removes dark discoloration under the arms but also treats underarm rashes.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda with few drops of water to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on underarms and gently massage in circular pattern for few minutes.
- Let it rest for 25 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this method for at least 4 times a week to achieve the desired results. Note: Alternatively, you can use rose water instead of plain water.
2. Baking Soda with Gram Flour and Curd
- Mix baking soda, gram flour, lemon juice and curd to make a thick paste
- Apply it on under arms and gently massage for few minutes.
- Let it dry for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the skin with cool water and pat dry.Note: Follow this process at least 2 times a week to achieve desired results.
3. Baking Soda with Vinegar
- Mix baking soda and vinegar to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on underarms.
- After 15 minutes, rinse it off with water.
- Or you can also use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar.Note: Apply this 2 times a day or regularly after bath to whiten the dark underarms.
4. Baking Soda with Lemon
Process 1: Lemon Paste
- Make a paste combining 10 grams of baking soda with juice from half a lemon.
- Apply this paste on underarms and gently massage for 10 minutes.
- Let it dry and rinse it off with waterNote: Follow this process at least 3 times a week.
Process 2: Lemon and Hydrogen Peroxide Exfoliant
- Combine 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/8 cup hydrogen peroxide and juice of half lemon.
- Mix well and apply this mixture under arms.
- Gently massage for few minutes and rinse off with water.Note: Repeat this process every 2 days.
Process 3: Lemon and Tea Tree Oil Balm
- Mix 2 teaspoons each of baking soda and lemon juice.
- Apply this mixture and leave for few minutes.
- Wash with warm water and apply few drops of tea tree oil.
- Gently massage in circular motion and let it dry.
- To remove dark underarms quickly, repeat this process regularly.
Process 4: Lemon and Olive Oil Juice Cleanse
- Mix 6oz. of olive juice with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a blender (extra virgin is preferable)
- Then mix in 8oz. of warm or lukewarm water and blend. Optional: Add ice.
- Drink immediately.
- Drink twice —in the morning and the evening. You can do the cleanse for 2 to 3 days
- Within 24 hours of finishing the cleanse eat only raw vegetables and fruits.
There are many more ways lemon can be used with baking soda and this home remedies goes back a long way. Here’s a video that covers even more of Lemon with Baking Soda’s benefits and history, along with even more home remedies.
5. Baking Soda with Cucumber
In this combination, cucumber and lemon lighten the skin, baking soda removes dead skin and olive oil moisturizes the skin.
- In a medium bowl, mash few slices of cucumber.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon baking soda and 3 tablespoon of lemon juice to it.
- Stir well to make a fine paste and apply this on underarms.
6. Baking Soda with Coconut Oil
This combination makes an amazing scrub for dark underarms. Baking soda exfoliates the dead skin and coconut oil nourishes and moisturizes the skin.
- Mix baking soda and coconut oil to make a thick paste.
- Gently scrub this paste in circular motion on underarms for few minutes.
- Let it rest for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Rinse with water and pat dry.
- Follow this method regularly for 2 – 3 times a week.
7. Baking Soda with Avocado
- Combine 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon each of mashed avocado, honey, cucumber juice and 2 tablespoons baking soda.
- Mix well to make a fine paste.
- Gently apply the mixture covering underarms.
- After 10 minutes, rinse off with normal water.
- You can apply this mixture 2 times a month.
8. Baking Soda with Cornstarch and Vitamin E Oil
- Mix 1/4 tablespoon baking soda, 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch, 1/2 tablespoon vitamin E oil.
- Stir well and apply this mixture on dark armpits.
- After few minutes, rinse off with water.
- Follow this process regularly for quick results.
9. Baking Soda with Glycerin
- Mix 1 tablespoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon glycerine.
- Stir well and apply this paste on underarms.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes and rinse off.
- Repeat this process 3 – 4 times a week for better results.
10. Baking Soda with Honey
- Combine 1 tablespoon each of baking soda and honey.
- Add few drops of rose water and make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on underarms.
- Let it rest for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Repeat daily.
11. Baking Soda with Milk
- Mix one tablespoon each of baking soda and milk.
- Apply this paste on underarms and gently massage in circular motion.
- Repeat this process in every 2 days for quick results.
12. Armpit Detox with Baking Soda
- Before you start, scrub your underarms gently with using a loofah.
- After the bath, while underarms are still wet apply baking soda.
- After that apply natural deodorant on it.
- Note: On first day you should repeat this process several times (5 – 10 times) but each day the number should go down. An average person takes 4 – 7 days to complete the detox.
Remember to be regular when using any of the above methods for removing dark underarms but don’t expect miraculous results overnight.
Chemical based deodorants are also a reason for dark discoloration underarms. You can just apply baking soda using cotton pad instead of deodorants and antiperspirants. Yet if you are not a fan of applying this then here are 4 recipes for making homemade deodorants using baking soda.
Homemade Baking Soda Deodorant Recipes
1. Baking Soda with Cornstarch and Coconut Oil
- Combine 1/4 cup baking soda and 3/4 cup cornstarch.
- To this mixture add four tablespoons of melted coconut oil.
- Stir well and continue adding coconut oil to reach your preferred consistency.
- Store this mixture in an air tight container.
- Apply a small amount to underarms with fingertips after bath.
- For extra benefits, you can also add essential of your choice in the mixture.
2. Baking Soda with Coconut Oil and Shea Butter
- Melt 3 tablespoons virgin coconut oil and 2 tablespoon shea butter using a double boiler.
- Turn of the heat and add 3 tablespoons baking soda and 2 tablespoons corn starch to the mixture.
- Stir until you get a smooth paste. Add your preferred essential oil.
- Let it cool down and store in an air tight container.
- Apply a small amount using finger tips on under arms after bath.
- During summer, you have to refrigerate it as coconut oil melts down.
3. Baking Soda with Arrowroot Powder and Bentonite Clay
- Combine 1 tablespoon baking soda, 5 tablespoons coconut oil, 6 tablespoons arrowroot powder and 2 tablespoons of bentonite clay.
- Stir well and add 5 to 10 drops of essential oil of your choice.
- Store in an air tight container.
- The mixture will be in creamy consistency, so just scoop out a small amount using your finger and apply on underarms.
4. Baking Soda with Beeswax and Corn Starch
- Melt down 1 tablespoon grated beeswax and 3 tablespoons coconut oil in a double boiler.
- Add 1/4 cup each of corn starch, baking soda, 5 drops of tea tree oil and 5 drops of any essential oil of your choice.
- As soon as you complete mixing the ingredients, pour it into empty deodorant stick.
- It solidifies when cooled down to room temperature.
Tips and Precautions:
- Underarms are sensitive so be careful while using baking soda. If you feel a burning sensation, rash, redness or cracked skin while using baking soda, then stop immediately and wash it off.
- Opt for waxing instead of shaving. As waxing not only removes the hair from roots but also removes dead skin.
- Don’t be abrasive while massaging baking soda on underarms. Be gentle.
- Don’t wear too tight clothes. Let your body breathe. Continuous friction and improper ventilation can cause dark discoloration underarms.
- Stop using chemical deodorants and antiperspirants. You can use sandalwood essential oil, baking soda and other homemade deodorants instead of chemical based deodorants.
- Always do a patch or allergy skin test before applying any of the above home remedy. If you observe any negative results, stop using it. Or else you are free to use it.
- Consult a doctor if you are not achieving results through home remedies. They may be caused due to hormonal changes or any other disease.
Follow the methods regularly and achieve the desired results in no time. Flaunt your shiny, white underarms wearing strapless tops this summer. Share your experience with us.
can i use calumet brand? or is it strictly recommended that we need to use arm and hammer brand of baking soda?
Brand doesn’t matter if the product is original and pure.
What kind of milk to use?
Raw milk should be used.
i used baking soda for under arm , the first day my underarm was lighter but after that it turned to very dark more than before. please if you know the answer let me know.than
Baking soda draws out the toxins from the body which why the skin turns black. Once the toxins are completely pulled out, skin gets lightened. So, continue baking soda application until achieve positive results.
Can I apply baking soda and milk immediately after using veet cream removal on my underarm
No, don’t apply baking soda and milk right after shaving as it can lead to burning sensation and rashes.
I wax my armpits yesterday night can i use baking soda today ? As my deodorant and as paste?
when will I use this tips? before I take a bath or after?
It is better to follow after the bath.
how do we use baking soda to Whitney the teeth, and i think it does not have any affect
You can use remedies related to baking soda for teeth whitening in this article – http://wellness.guide/baking-soda-for-teeth-whitening/. The mild abrasive nature of baking soda removes stains on the teeth. It neutralizes the agents which can cause discoloration and foul odors.
How long till we can see result?
It is difficult to tell the exact time as everyone’s skin and level of discoloration is different. So, try the process regularly without interruption to achieve the results. You can observe improvement within few weeks.
It is safe?? I’m just a teenager ,can I try it?
Yes, it is completely safe unless you don’t massage it harshly against your skin.
Hi! I have a question. So I’ve used the baking soda mixed with lemon on my underarms. On the first day, it got lighten a little bit but after I used it again the next day it got a little darker and the process continued for weeks. Ive been using that treatment for 2 weeks now and my unferarms got really darker. Should I continue this treatment or nah? Cause ive also used it on my elbows, knees and inner thighs. I’ve also noticed that it that they got darker a little. So what can you say please? I hope you’ll help me solve this problem asap. Thank you! 🙂
Baking soda may initially darken the skin as it pulls out the toxins from the body. With regular use, the darkness will gradually reduce. So, try it for another few weeks and check for any improvement. If you didn’t see any improvement, then try any other remedy mentioned in this article – http://wellness.guide/whiten-dark-underarms/
What if it still doesn’t have any improvement after 2 months? Should i switch to another treatment or still continue? 🙂
can I use deodorant after using baking soda?
No need, baking soda itself acts as deodorant.
Which of this methods will give a quick result for getting rid of dark underarms…!!!
And should be used after sharing or not?
All the methods are effective in treating the dark underarms, so it is difficult to choose one among them. You can try any one as per your convenience and preference. All these methods should not be used after shaving as they may cause irritation and burning sensation.
how I can control sweat in armpits ? please say
We recommend following any method mentioned in this article – http://wellness.guide/excessive-sweating/
Baking Soda with Lemon / Calamansi Extracts is very effective 🙂 I tried it since last month and I’m still using it everyday 🙂 At first, it will make your armpit dry and darker. Thought it happened, I’m still using it. Gradually, I notice that my underarm gets peeling. The dry and dark skin was peeled. It became soft and lighter now. I’m still using it for my underarm maintenance 🙂
I tried that years ago (accident) and I don’t remember exactly what I did but my underarms peeled then they were light. I was surprised then with time they are dark again.
Can you please tell me exactly what you did? Thank you
Can you provide me the steps pls? and how long did it take you? did you still use deodorants? thank you very much!
Is it ok if i use baking soda and water only? And is baking powder ok too?? Is it the same result baking soda and powder?
Yes, you can use only baking soda and water combination. Nope, baking powder and baking soda are two different products. Don’t use baking powder instead of baking soda.
Do i need to shave first before i put the baking soda?
Yes, it is better to shave as the hair as it may restrict the effectiveness of baking soda to reach the skin.
Where can i find BAKING SODA????
You can find baking soda in any local grocery stores or online stores like Amazon.
When making this product how long can you keep it? How should you store it?
Baking soda mixture should be prepared freshly each time for effective results. It should be stored and used later.
I’ve tried baking soda and water for a month and there is no change. It doesn’t work.
If baking soda is not working for you then try any other remedy mentioned in this article – http://wellness.guide/whiten-dark-underarms/
Can i use baking soda after applying hair removal cream in underarms?
If its ok i used deep cleanser in my underarms before and after a bath , it’s safe also if i use both at the same time the baking soda and the deep cleanser ? Thank you
Which baking soda is best???
is the result going to be permanent or when you stop they will be dark again?i mean is it a lifetime process?
is it okay if i use a hair removal cream instead of waxing??
Can i use calamansi?
Can i use Calamansi juice instead of Lemon juice?
Hi can i use the combination of baking soda and coconut milk
I used baking soda without water its getting darker i dont know what to do
Is kt okay if I use calamansi instead of lemon?
That’s fine! But calamanzi is more acidic than lemon so dilute it with water if it feels too acidic for you