Heartburn is also known as Pyrosis, cardialgia or acid indigestion. It is a burning sensation caused in the chest just behind the breastbone and the pain will extend to neck, throat, and face. The situation becomes worse when bending or lying down. Heartburn can happen when your stomach acids come up into the esophagus (the tube that carries food from mouth to stomach), then acids back up and cause a burning sensation in the chest. Here are some homemade natural remedies which can help to prevent the heartburn and make it not to turn to GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease).
Symptoms of Heartburn:
Following are the symptoms which appear in your body when you face the problem of Heartburn.
- Burning sensation in the chest
- Burning feeling in the throat
- Sour or bitter taste in the mouth
- Facing difficulty in swallowing
- Chronic cough, sore throat or chronic hoarseness.
- Asthma or wheezing symptoms
- Burning sensations just below the ribs or breastbone
- Pain which comes after taking over meals or lying on the back, exercising or when experiencing the anxiety.
- A feel that food was sticking in the middle of the chest or throat.
Triggers of Heartburn:
These are the triggers which cause the heartburn. so, try to reduce it or if possible avoid taking these foods to prevent the heartburn.
- Eating too much food at once
- Eating in a hurry as it doesn’t make good digestion
- Overusage of pills for headache, sleeping, heartburn or any problem
- Fish oil supplements
- Being overweight
- Genetic factors
- Spicy, oily and acidic food
- Fish, chicken, beef kabobs, fried chicken and other non-vegetarian foods.
- Chips, burgers, French fries, funnel cakes, grilled onions, grilled peppers, hamburger, hot salsa, ice creams and other snack items.
- Over spicy curries, rice, butter, mustard and ketchup, pickles, sauerkraut etc.
Home Remedies for Heartburn:
Try these natural homemade remedies instead of over the counter (OTC) medicine. These remedies will prevent heartburn and also helps it not to repeat in future also.
1 Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the burns. So take aloe vera gel or its juice after taking meals.
2 Slippery Elm
It is a medicinal herb used to cure many problems including GERD symptoms. It is a demulcent that provides a coating or protective layer to thicken the tissues of the stomach and creating strong barriers to acids. So include it in your diet by adding couple tablespoons of slippery elm in water and drink it after taking meals or at bedtime.
It has a natural stomach healing property but taking it a lot will have effects on high blood pressure and hypertension etc, so it is recommended to use DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) tablets or capsule before meals.
4 Chewing Gum
Chewing gum will stimulate the salivary flow rate and any acid that was there in the gut is washed away and clearance of acid will improve the GERD symptoms. Take a sugar-free chewing gum regularly after taking your meals.
5 Baking Soda
Baking soda is a natural antacid which helps to neutralize the acids and give temporary relief from heartburn. Take a teaspoon of baking soda and dissolve it in 8 ounces of water. Drink it to get instant relief from heartburn. Careful while taking, as it has some drawbacks also.
Banana acts as a natural antacid which helps to prevent the heartburn. So take banana regularly to avoid this problem.
1 Chamomile Tea
It helps to relieve tension and it has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. Taste the tea to neutralize the stomach acids and then heartburn.
Directions on how to make chamomile tea:
- Take a cup and add dried chamomile flowers in it.
- Pour hot water in it.
- Allow it to infuse for about 3 minutes.
- Strain it into another cup by using a strainer
- Drink the tea if you want you can add lemon and honey to it.
8 Apple Cider Vinegar
It heals the stomach problems and helps to get faster digestion and at last relief from the heartburn. Follow the following steps.
- Add 2 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) in half cup of water or apple juice.
- Stir it well.
- Take the drink immediately after completing the meals.
- Or it can be taken in the form of tablet, capsule or liquid.
Ginger will soothe the stomach and promote digestion. It is one of the oldest remedies to treat heartburn. It can take ginger in any form i.e., either raw, cooked or tea.
It helps to get faster digestion and prevent acid build up. You can take it either through curry food or any other items or capsule form.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away yes it is true it is a medical herb to get relief from many problems/diseases. Here it is also useful to prevent heartburn. Apples reduce the acid production and neutralize it in your stomach and reduce burning sensations. You can take apples either in raw or cooked form to get rid of the problem.
12 The Use of Spice Rack
Use spices like cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, sage etc., to get relief from the heartburn as it helps in digestion and relieves the burn of acid indigestion. Careful not to overdose as it affects the stomach system again.
13 Your Own Antacid:
Make your own antacids which will help to get the instant relief. By knowing the information on the box of antacids. Try the following processes to make your own antacids.
Process – 1:
- Take 1/2 tsp of baking soda and add it in 1/2 glass water. Mix it well
- Take it when you feel heartburn and gets instant relief from it.
- People who are under any treatment or people who have nausea, stomach ache, gas, cramps should not do this and take it as antacids.
Process – 2:
- Take 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar with 1/2 tsp of baking soda.
- Mix it well in a glass of water
- Take 1 tsp of the solution whenever it is needed
Process – 3:
- Take 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with 1 tbsp of honey.
- Mix it well with 1 cup of warm water
Almonds also help to prevent the heartburn, as it contains high oil which neutralizes the acid levels in the stomach. Take a handful of almonds chew or eat the almonds and not more than 30 minutes you will get the relief from heartburn.
15 Basil / Indian Tulsi
Basil leaves helps in relieving heartburn as it minimizes the acids in the stomach. So, take few leaves of basil and chew it to get the relief.
16 Cinnamon or Cardamom
Both are spicy and help to reduce the acid levels in the stomach. Make tea with crushed cinnamon or cardamom by adding 1 cup of boiling water, steep, strain and drink it.
17 Fennel Tea
Fennel Seeds is an excellent herb for heartburn as it helps to cut back on the acid in your stomach but it is not safe for pregnant women (click here for more appropriate remedies). Take 2 tsp of seeds in a cup of boiling water, steep for about 10 minutes and drink it to get the relief from heartburn.
Garlic works well on heartburn as it acts as antibiotic and kills the pathogenic microorganism which causes gastric problems. Chew a clove of garlic when heartburn occurs or you can store a few cloves of garlic in apple cider vinegar and take a sip of liquid when you face the problem. Or you can take garlic in cooked form.
Mustard has an alkalizing property which contains a weak acid and rich in minerals. It will cure heartburn by neutralizing acids in the stomach without any medicines or chemicals. Consume one or two tbsp of mustards in your mouth which will give a faster relief from heartburn.
Potatoes are having a property of neutralizing the acid in the stomach and also heal the lining of your esophagus. Take a juice of raw potato and cold water in equal quantity and stir it well until it is cloudy from the starch. Drink that juice which is safe, simple and effective for heartburn.
21 Pineapple Juice
Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain which helps to reduce hydrochloric acid levels in your stomach and effectively reduce hyperacidity and heartburn. Drink 4 oz of pineapple juice after meals to solve the problem.
22 Marshmallow Root
Marshmallow helps to coat and protect the mucous membrane of the esophagus and reduces heartburn. Take one tsp of powdered marshmallow root and add it to a cup of warm water. Sip it several times a day when you feel heartburn to get relief from it.
Tips to Prevent Heartburn:
Following are the few best tips to prevent heartburn.
- Avoid oily, spicy and acidic foods and foods that contain tomatoes, onions, chocolates, coffee, alcohol, caffeine and other dishes which contain high levels of fat to reduce and prevent the heartburn.
- Don’t eat the food that causes the heartburn like citrus fruits or its juice, chocolate, peppermint, alcohol, caffeinated beverages, carbonated beverages, chili dogs, milk etc.,
- Eat less food in more frequent times, which will not increase the upward pressure against esophageal sphincter and reduces the heartburn.
- Wait at least for 2-3 hours after eating/taking meals to go to bed for lying down to sleep.
- Elevate your head while you sleep i.e., don’t lay down flat as it increases the pressure of stomach contents to go up against the lower esophageal sphincter and when the head is higher than stomach it reduces pressure and thereafter it reduces the heartburn.
- Avoid smoking; smoke contains nicotine which stimulates the production of acids in the stomach
- Stress is also a reason to cause heartburn. So try to avoid stress by doing yoga, meditation etc.
- Take antacids either in tablet or liquid form to get instant relief from the burn but careful not to take too much so as to avoid side effects.
- Consult the specialist before taking painkillers as these may burn the esophagus and stomach which finally leads to heartburn. Try acetaminophen for pain relief rather than aspirin, ibuprofen and other products.
- Drink water in between meals and avoid drinking fluids with meals which increase the volume of stomach contents and causes heartburn.
- Include stomach cooling juices like papaya, mango, guava, pear or cabbage, raw potatoes, soda crackers, buttermilk (acid reliever), fermented milk and food like almonds, brown rice, soy products in your diet to prevent the problem of heartburn.
- Avoid skin-tight jeans or clothes as it adds pressure on the abdomen.
- Eat the food slowly by taking smaller bites.
- Eat more fiber food to get easily digested.
- Do some regular excise to prevent heartburn.
- Put wood blocks under your bed to raise your head slightly high to about 6 inches.
- Drink plenty of water to resolve the problem.It’s better to prepare your favorite food in a different way by trimming extra fat off in your food.