When the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) does not contract properly, it allows gastric acids to flow backward, from the stomach into the esophagus, causing burning sensations in the chest and throat. This is what’s known as acid reflux, or heartburn. Other symptoms include, bloating, burping, gas, and unpleasant taste in the mouth. Acid reflux is caused by poor diet, stress, smoking, over-eating, and lack of sleep, among other factors.
Plenty of antacids are available over the counter, but their effects are short-lived and they come with unwanted side effects. Honey, on the other hand, is a natural, affordable, effective way to get rid of heartburn for good.
Does Honey Helps to Treat Acid Reflux?
- Honey soothes and heals damaged tissues.
- It is anti bacterial that prevents bacteria from growing in the digestive tract.
- Honey contains vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and enzymes that are essential to proper digestion.
- Honey relieves throat irritation by soothing the internal esophagus tract corroded.
- It has anti – inflammatory property which relieves pain and inflammation in the throat and chest.
- Honey contains potassium, which neutralizes stomach acids.
- Honey coats the esophagus and stomach, preventing irritation from stomach acids.
- It stimulates contraction of the LES, preventing acid reflux.
- It helps heal damaged LES tissues.
How to Use Honey to Treat Acid Reflux
Honey can be used alone and in combination with other natural ingredients that treat and prevent heartburn. For best results, always use raw, organic, unprocessed honey for acid reflux treatments. Try all the methods below until you find the one that works best for you.
- Mix a 1 teaspoon of raw, organic honey in in a glass of luke warm water .
- Drink 1 hour before meals.
- Or Eat it alone or on toast, pancakes, or waffles, or mix it into a glass of hot water, herbal tea, organic fruit juice, or smoothies.
- Or Consume 1 hour before each meal every day, and right before bed each night.
- Note: Do not eat anything for at least of 20 minutes after consuming honey directly as they reduces its efficacy
2. Cinnamon and Honey
Cinnamon stimulates digestive enzymes and strengthens the digestive system.
- Boil 2 cups of water and stir in 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Drink daily.
- Or mix S3/4th tsp of cinnamon powder and 1 tbsp of honey.
- Consume after meals to digest even heavy meals.
- Or bake fresh apple and pumpkin slices and coat it with honey and cinnamon powder. Consume to reduce heart burn.
3. Honey and Ginger Tea
Ginger kills the bacteria that cause heartburn and promotes proper digestion.
- Boil a cup of water and stir in 1 teaspoon peeled, minced ginger root.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Drink regularly.
- Note: you can drink the ginger chunks along with the tea or strain them out.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of ginger (grated, pieces, slices) and freshly squeezed lemon juice with 2 tablespoons of organic honey.
- Mix in 8 ounce of warm water.
- Drink this whenever you get the acid reflux or indigestion problem.
4. Honey with Chamomile Tea
Chamomile helps neutralize digestive acids and soothe burning sensations. Brew chamomile tea using a store-bought tea bag and stir in 1 teaspoon honey. Drink three times a day,
5. Honey with Yogurt
Yogurt restores the balance of good and bad bacteria in the digestive system, removes toxins, and promotes proper digestion. stir 1 teaspoon of honey into 6 ounces of low fat, plain Greek yogurt. Consume after meal for proper digestion.
6. Honey with Clove
Clove promotes proper digestion.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of honey with a pinch of clove powder.
- Stir mixture into a cup of warm water and drink.
- Drink after meals or whenever you feel symptoms of heartburn.
7. Honey with Lemon
Lemon neutralizes stomach acids and kills the bacteria that cause acid reflux.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of fresh-squeezed lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of honey into a glass of warm water.
- Drink one hour before meals or first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Drink regularly to get relief.
- You can also use 2 teaspoons of lemon zest.
- Refrigerate a lemon for overnight. In the morning grate it using cheese grate.
- Now add 1 ½ tablespoon of raw, organic and unprocessed honey and glass of warm water.
- Drink 30 minutes before breakfast to cure acid reflux.
8. Honey with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps restore the acid-alkaline balance within the digestive system.
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of honey and apple cider vinegar, stir them into a cup of water.
- Drink whenever you feel symptoms of heartburn.
9. Honey with Baking Soda
Baking soda neutralizes stomach acids and prevents acid reflux by acting like antacid.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and honey into a cup of warm water until completely dissolved.
- Stir it well that baking soda must be dissolved completely in the water.
- Drink to get relief from acid reflux and indigestion.
10. Honey with Green Tea
Green tea promotes proper digestion. Brew a cup of organic green tea, stir in 1 teaspoon honey and drink whenever you have acid reflux.
11. Manuka Honey with Peanut Butter
Manuka is the highest quality honey available. It contains more beneficial nutrients than any other kind. Peanut butter just happens to taste really good with it. Mix 1 teaspoon each of Manuka honey and peanut butter and eat it.
12. Honey with Warm Milk
Warm milk for acid reflux is great because it soothes the esophagus and digestive tract.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon honey in a cup of low fat or fat free warm milk.
- Drink to reduce the symptoms of acid reflux.
- Drink regularly
13. Honey with Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix 1 teaspoon each if honey, baking soda, and apple cider vinegar.
- Stir mixture into 16 ounces warm water.
- Drink before meals or when you experience symptoms of heartburn.
Apple Cider Vinegar for acid reflux is essential as it balances the pH level of the LES and stomach for the better breakdown of the food and digestion.
Tips and Precautions:
For best results, follow the advice below when using honey to treat heartburn.
- Always use raw, organic honey, preferably Manuka. Pasteurization strips many of the nutrients that make it such an effective heartburn treatment.
- Instead of microwaving honey, place the bottle in a pot of hot water to restore viscosity.
- Honey raises blood sugar levels. Those suffering from diabetes should use it with caution.
- Those allergic to bees or pollen should not use honey to treat acid reflux.
- We do not advise administering honey to babies and children under the age of 2.
- Manuka honey acts as natural antibiotic. It does not interact with any known medications and it causes no side effects.
- Consult your doctor before starting regular honey treatments.
- Regular exercise and a healthy diet will enhance the effects of honey treatments.
Have you tried treating acid reflux with raw, organic honey? Do you know of any methods we didn’t mention? Share your experience with us!
does consumption of 1 teaspoon direct honey 1 hour before each meal & right before bed can cure Acid reflux?
Yes it will. Apart from that avoid foods that trigger acid reflux, avoid sleeping immediately after meals and eat smaller meals.
NO it will not cure acid reflux which is a progressive disease.The LES valve gets weaker and weaker as we age.Chewing your food completely and choosing the right foods is important.Don’t eat large meals.I think the main thing is to stay away from processed foods,they are hard to digest.Eliminate fried foods,chocolate which triggers an attack.Smoothies with bananas,no fat greek yogurt and PAPAYA and either no fat milk or apple juice with NO sugar added helps.Lose weight if needed..Hope this helps..
Does a teaspoon of honey after meals when the heart burn has started help to relieve heart burn?
Yes, it can. But avoid consuming other sugary items throughout the day.
Can Honey Cure Or Reduce Ulcer Pain?
Honey has natural healing properties. It also helps to reduce the inflammation. Take 1 – 2 tablespoons of honey daily on an empty stomach.
What is the best way to cure acidic problem
It is difficult to choose one among all the remedies, as the method that works for me may not work for you and vice versa. So choose any method in the above article as your convenience and try it to find out which works for you.
what is the best way to heal the les and esophagus.
You can try 3, 5, or 12 method mentioned above in the article to get relief.
how often can we do number 9 within a day? is it only once a day?
Once in a day should be good enough.
How much honey and lemon to take for Gerd 1 and small lip of barretts
2 teaspoon of lemon and 1 teaspoon of honey should be good enough.
Honey increases my Acid Reflux! I started using lemon & honey for a cough. I just took lemon & honey & noticed immediately I had heartburn! I’m using local honey because it’s supposed to be better for me. I stopped using honey years ago when I became vegan & I now remember it gave me heartburn. Honey is once again on the list of foods I don’t eat. Now what do I do with the honey I bought at Farmers Market? Why does honey give me heartburn?
You might be allergic to honey so it’s better to avoid it.
I noticed after I had my baby have been having bad breath though I had heartburn during pregnancy ,now I have green tea lemon and ginger mix in it can I use it with honey and how do I use it ?
You can add 1 teaspoon of honey to the green tea, lemon and ginger mix. Stir well and consume it regularly to get relief.
How long is a safe consumption of treatment when taking just honey only ? Two weeks , three weeks? How many times daily and which way is best , empty or full stomach??
I can’t sleep at night reflux raises to my throat then I can’t breed properly fill like I’m losing my breathe, it’s so scarry and the anxiety is killing me, I can’t avoid it because definitely I know when I’m about to sleep I know what I’m going to go through almost the whole night, so can honey help, and how can I use it or mix it with? I’m definitely sticking to the diet!
Take honey and water before each meal and n symptoms f acid reflux and this really works
Healthy all my life. I’m 63, why all of a sudden would I have acid reflux? I haven’t changed anything in my diet
Is 30 minutes before breakfast OK or better results 1 hour before